scoutm

Leftover Tag Pays Off!

This year’s hunting season began as all do – with the debate over which hunts in what order should go on the application. Once decided in went the applications and the wait began. Of course we were skunked all around. Fortunately, one more chance and the leftover permit application went in – Success –A unit I haven’t hunted in many years and my hunting partner is less than fond of but it was a chance to hunt.

We made three different scouting trips – August, September and October - The trips only offered up one good buck but again it was a chance to hunt.

We arrived in camp Wednesday afternoon so we could try to locate a buck on Thursday that we could hunt on Friday. We were unsuccessful so we decided to hunt an area that I found a good buck in on the August scout trip – all we saw were two does and a fawn.

Around 10:30 we started back to camp for lunch and to discuss our next area. On the way back, I saw a ridge that had good shade and was wind protected so I told Chris I was going to climb to the top of a hill that would give a good view. Chris wasn’t too excited about the spot but agreed to go with me. About halfway up the hill Chris had to stop to answer natures call (the real reason he wanted to go to camp). I went on up got setup and started to glass. I told myself to focus on the shade. The second tree I looked under I saw a deer.

I could tell it was a buck but couldn’t tell how good so I pulled out the spotting scope only to find that it was a little two pointer but the scope also revealed the butt of another dear. I could barely see his head through trees but I could tell he was better than the two point buck. It took a minute or two but he turned his head just enough to tell he was a decent buck so I got up and called Chris to get up to me so I could put on a stalk.

Once up with me Chris and I discussed our plan – we were around 900 yards away with two ridges between us and the deer. The first move was to get to the first ridge from where I could start my stalk. I went first and once over to the ridge and with the deer relocated Chris came and joined me. We were now just less than 500 yards away. Not being the sharp shooter that many of you are, I needed to get closer.

After discussing many options we decided on the best stalk.

Not expecting the stalk and shot to take long I went light. I only took my gun, range finder, tripod and binoculars. This proved to be a mistake. With gear in hand I dropped down into the drainage and up the other side. Once on top, I worked my way into a position that gave me a shooting lane. Once there, I had two problems – first it was around 1:00 PM full sun and I only had what little shade a small buck brush provided and second all I could see was his head.

Not thinking it would take too long for him to stand I set my tripod up to act as my gun rest and waited. A half hour later the little shade I had was gone and the buck had still not gotten up. So, we waited some more. Another half hour later, no shade and my water back with Chris I was about cooked and needed to make a change. I looked around and saw an oak tree about 15 yards up the ridge that would offer much more shade but not as good a shooting lane but with the buck showing no sign of wanting to get up I decided to make the move – all I need to do was cross 15 yards with no cover – I knew I risked losing the buck but I needed to get out of the sun so I grabbed my gear and went for it. Now in the comfort of a shady oak tree, I called Chris on the radio to see if the buck was still bedded. Chris replied “Affirmative”.

In position again, I set my tripod up as my rest and continued to wait. While we waited, I practiced different shooting positions to determine, given my position, which would give me the steadiest shot. Once determined, over the next hour, I must have visualized shooting the buck 50 times – I was ready.

Having now been sitting in a shooting position for a combined total of two hours my legs were starting to cramp and seeing the sun was about the hit the buck which would surely get him to stand up, I put my rifle down and stretched my legs so I would be ready the when the opportunity presented. The second I did, I heard Chris on the radio – HE’S UP! I quickly grabbed my rifle put the cross hairs right behind his front shoulder and fired. As I was relocating the buck in my scope, I hear Chris over the Radio “Great Shot”. I relocated the buck just in time to see him fall.

To all of those who helped me with this hunt thank you - Especially Chris who had the patience to sit on this buck with me for over 4 hours.

Final score sheet – Located the buck at approximately 11:00am, 2 hours to Stalk to 203 yards, sat in shooting position for 2 hours and 10 minutes, double lunged at 3:10 PM.

Great Hunt!

post-1361-1193683127.jpg

post-1361-1193683142.jpg

post-1361-1193683150.jpg

Good for you Sout'm!!! I got one of the left-over tags as well, but didn't take a buck. Had a good time though...

Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

S.

:)

Great buck! Great pictures and great story. It felt like I was there with you and Chris. Thanks for sharing it with us. Awesome when a plan comes together and everything pays off. Congrats to you Larry.

Phil

Nice buck. Nice story......left-over tags.......unfond of the unit...........looks like a 30a buck to me.

creed

Could also be 30b or a couple of other units that I can think of just off the top of my head. I try to make it a point if the hunter doesn't mention the unit....I don't ask. Just my opinion.

Phil

Nice buck. Nice story......left-over tags.......unfond of the unit...........looks like a 30a buck to me.

creed

The unit isn't important...what's important is after some really hard work I was able to celebrate successs with a good friend - as witnessed in all the other great stories that can happen in any unit.

I hate it when all you can get is that left over junk. :angry:

All you can shoot is the crap no one wants to shoot. <_<

Real sorry you had to bring home such a sorry deer. :huh:

I may have to make that my first choice next year,

Just to thin out those burdens no one wants. ;)

JK

Great Buck and story.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike :P

creed

The unit isn't important...what's important is after some really hard work I was able to celebrate successs with a good friend - as witnessed in all the other great stories that can happen in any unit.

Well said Larry. I hope to share a similar situation in a couple weeks with my father and/or good friend!

Phil

creed

Well said Larry. I hope to share a similar situation in a couple weeks with my father and/or good friend!

Phil

Phil - Given all the hard work you've put in I'm sure that will be the case. Have a great hunt.

Dang......Great buck, great photos and awesome story! Congrats to you guys! JIM>