HEADACHE

MY FIRST KAIBAB HUNT

That is a great buck you should be very proud of. Tell us the whole story...........Allen.............

No kiddin there I was knee deep in 60 brass and grenade pins . . . nothing left but my MRE spoon, the long brown one. . . . oh wait wrong story . . .

I was actually driving up the road with my hunting buddy. . . I looked off to my right and saw a bunch of canyons kind of coming together. . . and then I got that "special feeling" you guys know "that" feeling. I said "I got a feeling about this place"

I jerked the truck off the road and out we went.

We walked a couple hundred yards and finally found some sign! Fresh sign!

We crept into the canyon and started glassing, a small buck popped into view. We saw another, a small spike.

I told my friend where there's two bucks there are four, so keep watching. Then a tall 3 pt walked out into view. He was nice, my friend told me to shoot him. . . I was a little hesitant, but entertaining the thought.

After a minute they spotted us and began walking off. Thats when I saw this guy walk across!

I said a good one! 26 inches!

I watched them go zigzag up and over the ridge.

We busted butt to get over there and in front of them a little bit.

When we topped out the other side, my buddy saw that tall 3pt. There he is he said. Shoot him!

I was in my binos trying to get him still and sized up when I saw this guy.

I said A 4 pt!

Shoot him, he's moving away he said. He never even saw this buck, only I did.

I bounced back and forth between the tall 3 and this four pt, I never saw his other side, he only showed me his good side ha ha ha.

I decided on this one just as the other bucks started off over another ridge.

I knew it was only a matter of seconds before this guy would see them and follow.

I was so winded that I could not get my scope to settle on his chest, I was high four feet, then low four feet.

I was excited AND winded. . . the worst!

Finally I just went with the "time it and jerk the trigger kind of thing"

I ended up hitting him just a hair higher than I would have liked, but he dropped like a dirty wet shirt.

My friend saw him just as the bullet blasted a big clump of hair and lung material out the other side.

BAM! my 7Mag echoed through the canyon! just under 200 yards I figured.

He dropped in his tracks and only kicked one time! Just like in the videos I thought.

We walked straight over to him. And then I saw he was a 3x4. But oh man were we excited! PUMPED!

I got my tag out and unloaded the rifle and let the celebration begin!

I knew he wasn't huge for Kaibab, but he was sure huge for me!

Thanks for listening.

That is a great looking buck, congratulations on a job well done. Now the only question is how long will it take to get another tag and do it again?

Packer

Steve would you quit talkin about how he's not big by Kaibab standards! Everytime I've been up there it seems every camp that has a deer hanging in it is usually a flippin small 2 or 3pt. I'd say you did dang good bro!! Congrats on a fine trophy! That thing smell and taste like sage?

Steve would you quit talkin about how he's not big by Kaibab standards! Everytime I've been up there it seems every camp that has a deer hanging in it is usually a flippin small 2 or 3pt. I'd say you did dang good bro!! Congrats on a fine trophy! That thing smell and taste like sage?

ha ha thanks Josh.

It was a inch think in fat, we pulled handfuls of fat off this guy, he's gonna be good eating! I'll call you over for some BBQ when I get him back cool?

Congratulations Steve, what a sweet buck! That thing will look nice on the wall overlooking your living room. Hope it dont take you another 6 years to get the next one.

Congratulations Steve, what a sweet buck! That thing will look nice on the wall overlooking your living room. Hope it dont take you another 6 years to get the next one.

Thanks Darren I just now figured out this was you ha ha ha I never pay attention!

I want to show it to Coach Mier, do you have his email?

I'll show up for the BBQ only if I can bring some whitetail, that mule deer tastes like crap. Deal? How bout some awesome summer sausage from my elk? GIDDY-UP!!

what a nice buck,be happy to get one that caliber,is tuesday the 30,I leave tomorrow for the same hunt couldnt go the whole hunt cause of work,I have a muzzleloader bull tag the 16th in unit 6 ,so had to save some time for that.Will be hunting wednesday afternoon thru sunday,hopefully alot of the 175 tags have left.Just like to say congratulations ,hope I can do as well......awesome buck,wish me luck :)

Nice buck man; be proud, happy, and satisfied. You have a rack for the wall, a hide for the recliner, and a freezer full of venison. Does it get any better than that?

I'll show up for the BBQ only if I can bring some whitetail, that mule deer tastes like crap. Deal? How bout some awesome summer sausage from my elk? GIDDY-UP!!

deal.

ha ha ha ha I'll call you.

That's an awesome Kaibab buck! Just 'cause it's on the 'Bab doesn't mean it's gotta be a 200" inch freak to be big! That's a toad in my book! Huge congrats to you on a great deer! JIM>

UPDATE!

My buck was published in an outdoor magazine! Took a little while to get it up but I wanted you all to have a look.

Check it out by clicking the magazine picture link below and going to page 28.

please excuse the typos . . . not mine. :P

Direct Link

or go to www.azod.com and click on the magazine cover with the four people behind the elk to go read the online article.

There is also a downloadable .pdf file that may work better for you.

PDF link

Thanks for looking ;)