BML

2 for 2 in 2 days!

My dad and I went 2 for 2 this weekend. I had 6 total days of scouting in our unit without seeing a single deer. I have to be honest that my confidence was next to none. It's been a long time since my dad and I have killed a deer. We pretty much though that this was going to be another typical deer hunt without seeing many deer and it ended up being the complete opposite.

Opening morning found us hiking in at dark to our glassing point. We were on the west side of a big mountain glassing across to another big mountain. In between us was a pretty good canyon. I had the Swaro 15's on the tripod(thanks Terry!!) and started my search. As soon as the sun broke the horizon, I hear my dad whisper, "I got a deer!". I found them shortly after and saw that we had a doe, a fawn and a small fork horn buck. I told my dad that he could have first shot. He wasn't concerned with size and I wanted to try to shoot a three point or better, so this little buck was all his. We watched them and very quickly realized that they were heading down into the bottom of the canyon. We had to side hill them, basically racing them over there. After a while, we were set up 239 yards from the bottom of the canyon waiting for them. Then we realized that the buck had completely vanished!! He was no longer with the doe and fawn. They continued down the hill. On the way down, they picked up a really long spike that we hadn't seen before. As they started to filter through our shooting lane, my dad could not find him in the scope. I kept telling him he had better shoot because if they get to the bottom, they would be gone. Well, he couldn't find them in the scope and they made it to the bottom and out of site. I told my dad to head down there and see if he could find them and I would wait. Well, he didn't go 50 yards and they started coming out of the bottom. It was then that I could no longer hold back and I picked up my rifle. My dad still couldn't find him, so I made the decision to go ahead and take him. One 239 yard shot and he rolled twice down the hill!! WooHoo for me. My first buck in a very long time!! We hiked down to the bottom and realized that there was a quad road down there about 30 yards from my buck. How lucky were we!!

Upon review of my buck, we noticed that his left horn was pretty gnarly. It had a bunch of dried velvet still on it and the right horn had a small mass all the way around it about where the eye guard should have been. He also had a small kicker coming off the back. I figured maybe he wasn't really a yearling spike, but rather a very old buck. I checked his teeth and sure enough there were only 4!!

Here he is.

post-877-1193612119_thumb.jpg

post-877-1193612310_thumb.jpg

Saturday morning we were at the exact same spot. It took a little longer, but we found deer again, only this time a little farther away. We had that same doe and fawn, but this time they were with two different three points!! I couldn't believe it. I immediately started kicking myself for not being patient enough. Oh well, nothing I could do about it but help my dad shoot one of them! Unbelievable, these deer did the exact same thing the deer did the morning before. They were heading down to the exact same spot I shot my buck so we headed to the exact same spot as well. As they filtered through, my brother told my dad to wait until he said shoot and "BOOM!" the rifle went off!! My dad apparently has the same amount of patience as me!! haha. He shot the very first buck that came through, which was the smaller one! The larger buck had held up just a tad and it saved his life!!

Here is my dad's buck:

post-877-1193612564_thumb.jpg

post-877-1193613649_thumb.jpg

Both these bucks were glassed from the same spot, shot from the same rock and died a mere 30 yards apart on separate days. Both shots were 239 yards.

Very Nice Coues Double there - BML & pops!

Looks like you 'patterned' those bucks pretty quickly! Nice when it all comes together.

Congrats!

AzP&Y

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I guess you could call that Patterning 101! The deer actually made it pretty easy for us.

2 for 2 in 2 days! :huh:

Were you using a 222 by any chance?

Way to go guys ;)

glad you were able to spend time with your Dad and brother.

Nothing wrong with them bad boys.

Meat in the freezer,

and stories to be told,

And memories with family :rolleyes:

Congrates,

Mike

congrats on the successful hunts. You got some meat in the freezer and is sounds like a rare situation with essentially the same hunt, 2 days in a row.

30 ft off a quad trail is the real BONUS!

Y'know, your pop has good taste in hunting shirts too! ;)

Congrats to you and your dad. That's gonna be some mighty fine eating there.

Phil

Gamehauler,

I was shooting my new .270 WSM and my dad was shooting his trusty .270. After this deer, though, I am switching bullets. I was shooting the 150g Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. What a freaking mess inside!!! I shoot these bullets out of my 22.250 and love them on predators. For deer I just found out that they are way too expansive. My shot entered just in front of the hind quarter and exited (sort of) behind the front shoulder. The bullet basically just exploded inside the deer. The shot angle was pretty extreme from the steep slope and the quartering away as he was coming out of the canyon. The only organ that I could identify was the heart. Everything else was total mush!!! It was nice to not waste any meat but the cleaning job was tough.

az4life,

It was the EXACT same hunt two days in a row. The whole quad road thing was just a blessing!! Sort of like icing on a long overdue cake! :lol:

Cramerhunts,

We ate the tenderloins of my dad's buck in camp last night and it was awesome!!! It had no "gamey" taste at all. My wife even ate some and she's not a big fan of venison. I can't wait to grill up the back strap medallions we cut out!

Congrats on your two bucks! Nice story, 6 days of scouting without a deer and all that frustration gone in an instant! Way to go!