acharenio

Caliber preference

Hi this my first post , i have been reading on this forum and i enjoy all the comments and knowledge from all of you people

i have a tag for whitetail in october and i have 2 rifles , a 300 win mag and a 243 winchester, i feel comfortable with both and decent groups with both

but the 300 has a lot more kick, which rifle should i use for whitetail?

any comments will be apreciated.

thank you.

Acharenio

Both are fine coues calibers but the .243 lacks in energy after 350yds, with the .300 you got more than enough to shoot as far as you feel comfortable. I shot my first coues with my .243 and he is just as dead as the coues I have shot with my .270 & 30-378. Shoot which ever one you shoot best and put one in his lungs and it's game over.

Geoff

Both are fine coues calibers but the .243 lacks in energy after 350yds, with the .300 you got more than enough to shoot as far as you feel comfortable. I shot my first coues with my .243 and he is just as dead as the coues I have shot with my .270 & 30-378. Shoot which ever one you shoot best and put one in his lungs and it's game over.

Geoff

What he said!!! ;)

either one is fine, but if i was you i'd sell em and get a .270. Lark.

Lark is half right.... well a 1/4 right...

dont sell em. keep em in the safe.

and dont get a 270.... get a 270wsm :D

i like the .300 win with a 130grn. SST

Do you have a soft recoil pad on the 300 like a Pachmyer Decelerator or Sims to take some of the bite out of the recoil?

those things rock, i highly recommend them

Do you have a soft recoil pad on the 300 like a Pachmyer Decelerator or Sims to take some of the bite out of the recoil?

i have a musslebreak put and the recoil is not bad, just went shooting and i think i take the 300 win mag

thank you to you all.

Remo

In the "How to hunt coues deer" book by Duayne Adams, he recommended .300 win since you won't want to track coues in the desert and has less trajectory change when there's wind.

I would feel more comfortable with the .300 knowing it'll knock em over their butt but every caliber kills coues dead above .243

The .243 is sure hard to beat when it comes to a great Coues gun with the exception of the .270. The .300 win sure is a lot of gun for such a little critter.

Just my $0.02. ;)

3oo win., flat shooting, less wind drift, knockem down in their place power, matched with a good load and a good scope is hard to beat IMO

sounds like a lotta guys have elmer keith-itis or craig boddington disease and think ya hafta have a elephant gun for everythng. except elephants. then ya use a whale gun. it's sorta like the short guy/big truck syndrome. i almost said the .243 would be the better choice, but am too biased with the .270 to do it. my kid killed a nice one at about 20 yards with his bow the other day. it ain't near as hot as a .243. couse deer seldom weigh a 100 pounds. they ain't hard to kill. knockdown means absolutely zilch, especially with couse deer. unless you're a totally lame hunter and can't get within a couple hundred yards, anything will work well. depends on how good o' hunter you are. my ol' man laid a lotta bucks down with a .30/40 krag, a .30/30 and a .348. no lazer sights or range finders either. but then again, he's a good hunter. ;). Lark.