Sign in to follow this  
tomharveyb

3bn and 4an elk

I'm re-thinking my application for elk this year- getting too old to hold out for what I would really like. I would love to hunt early archery bull in 5b south one more time but don't think I can wait the 5 years it would take from where I'm at- 4 bp's and 68 years old. The 3b north and 4a north hunts (antlerless) intrigue me, but don't know much about them other than what g and f puts out in stats. Anybody out there done either of these? I know they're listed as limited opp. hunts but the success rates are decent and the wait between hunts would be short. Any info would be appreciated.

Heck, with 4 bps you could get an antlerless in the regular ol early archery in units like 4a. Very good chance to get that draw. Unless I am missing something there isn't much reason to settle for the limited opportunity hunts.

• Like 1

4 bonus points will probably get you a unit 1 late late rifle cow tag unit 1 2b 2c.

archery sleeper is 3a3c late archery bull. you will get to chase bugling bulls. every year.

lee

Most of the elk on the 4A North hunt will be on the O'haco ranch and further north on the Hopi 3 ranch. This is open PJ country, transitioning into open grasslands. There are some small cuts and draws, but the majority is flat open antelope country.

Also, the west side of O'haco's ranch closes on December 1st. So with the hunt starting on the 15th, you'll have to hunt the east side of the ranch if you choose to go that route.

Glassing will be your friend.

Both ranches have sign in access.