m gardner

Long Range Animal Recovery

"finding a little Couesie in the grass! JIM> "

Don't shoot LITTLE Chouesies. :unsure: DAH

Sorry Jim, Kinda like Quick throw up ;)

Mike

"finding a little Couesie in the grass!"

You know, the fact that I only draw Oct. tags combined with the fact that I love nothing more than wrappin' tags on Coues bucks.......it really doesn't take that big of a buck to get me excited! If it's not my tag to burn then it aint' no big deal, but if my name is on the tag.....watch out! That is why I hunt with Shortypants.....he helps me calm down and talks me out of throwin' lead........although I think things have changed this year! Shorty's got quite the happy trigger finger this year and I might have to hold him back for a change! JIM>

Very interesting.

I am not going to be critical of that kind of range

but I am sure it is not for everyone.

I have been looking at increasing my range but-

A quick look at the site those people have way to much money

and time to go to the range.

Thanks for the link.

I added it to my favorites and will look at it some more.

Mike

I am sure that more that a few here have tied up as much in our rifles and such, You will find the people on that list very helpful as well. There is a interesting article on setting up the equipment for low cost :rolleyes: I know they have helped me a lot over time to increase the range i feel comfortable shooting at. Right now i am saving my pennies to build a long range pistol for hunting I shoot a T/C 35 Rem. pistol now on some hunts, the best with it was a Javalina several years ago at 525 yards one shot, and several deer at 200-350 yards all but one shot to connect. One deer at 200 yards I shot over because i miscounted the clicks on the scope. Most of the time I hunt with a rifle 300 H&H with a lepould T-10 scope with a dot. I have been shooting this gun since 1972 and have had it re-barreled once.

AzTrapper

AzTrapper

I have found the method I use to locate sheds and follow-up a fews days later. Even after a couple days/weeks when time permits I can go back find that "needle in a haystack". With azimuth and notes I'll locate the originial "shot" position, shoot the back azimuth and a few hours later, antler in my grubby hands.

I think that taking good stock of where the animal was hit and where it was last seen is one of the most important things (good landmarks). Also..... long range shooting has a time and place. If you are alone (no spotter) and in that difficult of an area.... maybe the shot should not be taken.... :huh: ;) I also believe that patients and hard work will almost always ensure that you recover your trophy. You shot it.... you have an obligation to recover it..... NO MATTER WHAT..... or atleast spend a day or two looking. I see way to many people walking away from the game they have hit after an hour or two..... that is crap. I know guys that have given up the hunt and invested days, weeks, and yes, months.... before recovering an animal they have shot. I have never had to look for more than about 6 hrs before, but I have helped others for days. I will help anyone who has that kind of Dedication to recover an animal.... I know that in a perfect world all recoveries would be 50 yds or less, but if you are out there enough and take enough critters.... it will happen to you as well. So no haters..... I have only lost one animal my whole life and spent days looking for it and then refused to pick up my bow for over a year..... but it does happen. Therefore.... "Aim Small, Miss Small", should be #1 in all our hunting. :D :D

Okay... I got a bit off the subject.... :rolleyes: :lol:

CnS

I wont shoot anything over 300 yards with out a spotter.

Thats because you need someone with Swaros to tell you if its over 80" ;)

post-1778-1192548892.gif

:P :ph34r:

I wont shoot anything over 300 yards with out a spotter.

Thats because you need someone with Swaros to tell you if its over 80" ;)

post-1778-1192548892.gif

:P :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I break out my video or still digital camera and take a few pictures at where I shot to. If alone I'll write down in my note pad some of the key features and where to go. Maybe draw a small map. Then I'll view the photos and make sure I can make out where to go from landmarks. So far I've done that with great success but have got a few new tips here on how to recover from a long range shot. Some times it's not so long of a shot but across a nasty canyon that you have to go almost a mile out of your way to get across that's a bugger. That's when you've forgot all about your land marks, which makes the photos and mini map all worth the while.

cmc

what the heck would all you guys do without alla them 'lectronic gadgets? 'lectric maps, 'lectric range finders, 'lectric cameras, 'lectric gps's, etc., etc., etc. dang, whatever happend to huntin' skill? ya ever hear of thinkin' to yourself, "he's under that rock by that tree"........? how much does all this stuff weigh anyway? Lark.

I break out my video or still digital camera and take a few pictures at where I shot to. If alone I'll write down in my note pad some of the key features and where to go. Maybe draw a small map. Then I'll view the photos and make sure I can make out where to go from landmarks. So far I've done that with great success but have got a few new tips here on how to recover from a long range shot. Some times it's not so long of a shot but across a nasty canyon that you have to go almost a mile out of your way to get across that's a bugger. That's when you've forgot all about your land marks, which makes the photos and mini map all worth the while.

cmc

That is really good CMC..... I guess reviewing video never crossed my mind. I like it! ;)

Hey, Lark..... I have a Strong back and a Weak mind..... I'll pack whatever it takes to gitter-done!!! ;) :lol: So...... Shooooosh!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And, Casey..... I think you should always have a "spotter".... or chaparone.... when you go to the woods. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CnS