m gardner

Long Range Animal Recovery

I noticed lots of talk about long range shooting and was wondering what methods you use to find the animal after shooting it? I've shot more than a few deer and elk at extreme ranges and in brushy cover or deep powder snow or across canyons it was a difficult task. How many have lost game because it was impossible to find after the shot? The last long shot I made (about a year ago), the deer jumped up and fell over backwards into deep powder snow on the other side of a canyon which meant I had to walk around to get him. I was alone and had no guide and it was a real problem but I found him. I had one roll off a cliff years ago and was never recovered. How do you guys do it?

Mark

I noticed lots of talk about long range shooting and was wondering what methods you use to find the animal after shooting it? I've shot more than a few deer and elk at extreme ranges and in brushy cover or deep powder snow or across canyons it was a difficult task. How many have lost game because it was impossible to find after the shot? The last long shot I made (about a year ago), the deer jumped up and fell over backwards into deep powder snow on the other side of a canyon which meant I had to walk around to get him. I was alone and had no guide and it was a real problem but I found him. I had one roll off a cliff years ago and was never recovered. How do you guys do it?

Mark

I do a couple of things.

1. Mark the area from where I shot with marking tape or toilet paper, paper is better because it will dissolve and I do not go back to collect it. This allows me to go back to the original shooting spot if I have trouble finding it to and start over.

2. Try to walk in line with the shot and tie a few more ribbons or toilet paper so when I get on the other side I can look back and line myself up.

3. Mark it with my GPS.

4. Pick a land mark on the other hill that I can find once I am over there.

Redman

A little off the subject but your comment about TP brings up a good point.

We have been using TP for years when tracking a hit animal for the reason of it desolving after time.

Good habit to get into is to have an extra roll in your truck or wherever that you can go get while your giving the critter time to lay down.

Mike

I usually take a little time and pick reference points to use as guides and take my time getting to the spot the animal was downed at but last year I had about 10 minutes of light left on the last day, luckily I had a buddy with me. When we made our way across the canyon to retreive my buck I lost track of the point of impact, with some persuasion I talked my buddy into returning to where I had shot from and he guided me to the downed buck. I was standing 40 yards from it and could not see it due to the tall grass, from the other side of the canyon he stood out like a sore thumb.

Marking the place where you shoot from is a real good idea.

I've been very successful in picking up sheds with this method. First locating with bino's then recovering antler/s from distances of up to a mile away by:

1. Finding a prominent feature from shooting/glassing spot like an old snag, rock out crop, saddle etc. even an paticular plant like a century plant or point on hill.

2. Mark spot with TP, or if location is easy to locate from a distance memorize features around your last position where shot was taken. Remember to mark or find a feature that you can easily see at a distance. Maybe even one you may have to find late in the evening.

3. From the selected spot with flagging/TP take a reading on Compass to exact last known site of animal, shed, or even a tree near destination. I usually carry a little notepad with me at all times and write down the azimuth (reading to target spot on compass). I even sometimes quickly sketch the ridge, Mtn. the antler/down game is on. Heck even taking a couple snaps on a digital could work. I make sure to put down every noticable features in terrain like a tree or grassy open spot etc. basically anything to help you zero in on your target. Because once to leave your position to find target, every thing is gonna change.

4. With compass at the ready take one last heading pick a spot between your position and target and hike to that destination. Once at the spot and lil closer to target take a back azimuth to keep ya on track.

Ex. if your heading is N.30 degree's to target spot your back azimuth should be ~210 degrees when shooting compass back toward your last TP marked spot.

5. Once again shoot compass, take note where target area is located (referring back to notes). Pick a spot between target and your second stop then GO!

6. Once you feel within 60-100yds of target take a back azimuth to first spot marked with flagging and adjust your position to 210 degrees. You should be pretty dang close.

Hope this helps, I use it find deer & elk sheds across canyons and at long distances all the time ALONE ;) . Good luck and it give shot.

I shot a carp once at 565 yards across a canyon. He dropped where I hit him. My spotter guided me to him by radio, otherwise I never would have found him. I think that at long range, you really need a spotter not only guide you to the animal, but to watch if the animal has been hit. With high magnification, the recoil will keep you from seeing the impact.

Mark

The one thing i do to find an animal is to sneak up closer so i'm not shootin at him from the back 40.its called stalking. :P

I like to hang a long piece of flagging from the shot location. Then I shoot an azmuth (sp?) with the compass. I also shoot the range with my laser.

I go the the other side and shoot a reverse azmuth on the compass until I get in line, then I use the laser to find the exact spot. Works great, at least so far....

I just mark the closest tree drom were I shot with marking tape first. I then take my range finder and range the distance to the animal. I then try to walk in a strait line and every once in awhile hit the marked tree with the range finder.

I thought I'd ask because the first animal I shot at over 400 yards across a brush choked ravine I nearly lost because I had never given it a thought. I had shot prairie dogs all summer with my 270 and was pretty handy with it. When I spotted a buck bedded under a small pine on the rim across from me and realized I couldn't get closer and see him I got a rest and shot him in the head. He just rolled over under the pine and disappeared. Oooops!? I finally did the compass thing and after a few hours found him. Now I always like to have a plan, even if it's bad one.

Mark

I like to run over as fast as I can whooping all the way. Get lost for a while, walk back to where I shot the animal. Have a hard time finding that spot. Circle around awhile until I find where I shot from. Get my bearings. Take a direct route. Search the wrong ridge for a half hour. Go back to the shooting spot. Get my bearings. Go to the right ridge, find my buck immediately, knew he was there all along. Hey it works for me.

Bob

I am also on another list Long Range Hunting. Where they take long range hunting to a different level 1000 Yard shots are not unheard of. Here is a link to what they say about it. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17...range-game-115/ They use a spotter and radios to find their game. It is interesting to read how animals react when shot or missed at long range as well, and a interesting bit about shooting 2 miles with a black powder rifle as well as several about 1 mile as well.

AzTrapper

I like to run over as fast as I can whooping all the way. Get lost for a while, walk back to where I shot the animal. Have a hard time finding that spot. Circle around awhile until I find where I shot from. Get my bearings. Take a direct route. Search the wrong ridge for a half hour. Go back to the shooting spot. Get my bearings. Go to the right ridge, find my buck immediately, knew he was there all along. Hey it works for me.

Bob

:lol: :lol: we'd all probably be amazed at how often this scenario takes place on any given hunt!!! I know I've done it and that's how you learn the hard way how to do it the right way! Always make mental notes of your surroundings where you shot from and where the critter was at before you even get out of your shooting position! Compasses, GPS's, flagging, and whatever else you have available should be used and it all works. The one main thing I do is always remember and mark exactly where you shot from and always find a landmark of some sort to visually mark where the critter was. It is always best to try and get closer, but you can have problems even at moderate distances when talking about finding a little Couesie in the grass! JIM>

Very interesting.

I am not going to be critical of that kind of range

but I am sure it is not for everyone.

I have been looking at increasing my range but-

A quick look at the site those people have way to much money

and time to go to the range.

Thanks for the link.

I added it to my favorites and will look at it some more.

Mike