Sign in to follow this  
3BOYZAZ

Early rifle or early archery?

I'm sitting on 17 bonus points for elk. Pretty much guaranteed any early archery tag according to gohunt.com. Slim chance of early rifle. I have been putting in for early rifle in the 23's for the past 10 years. You guys think it would be a mistake to use these points on an early archery hunt? What unit 23N, 23S or 9?

Do you want to use a rifle or bow? There's your answer

• Like 1

Personally, given the choice I'd use a rifle. Not because archery hunting isn't a blast, but I am much more profecient with a rifle.

• Like 1

I'm sitting on 17 bonus points for elk. Pretty much guaranteed any early archery tag according to gohunt.com. Slim chance of early rifle. I have been putting in for early rifle in the 23's for the past 10 years. You guys think it would be a mistake to use these points on an early archery hunt? What unit 23N, 23S or 9?

You could still be 10+ years out from a rifle tag with so many guys applying for that hunt. There's about 325 residents with 17+ points. They aren't all gonna put in for 23 but a lot will. And with only 2-3 tags going to top point holders it could be a while before you get there. You've waited a long time and you'll probably never get that many points again so it's always a gamble going for the Archery hunt but you'll have a blast either way. This year's Archery hunt should be the best in a while with the later dates. Only going to get earlier from here on in the next 6 years. Archery is always more challenging but you will still have a chance at some good bulls. Do you Archery hunt much?
  • Like 3

At this point I think I would stick with it and wait for the rifle tag. The way I look at it is with archery there are so many things that can happen that are outside my control. Rifle not so much.

• Like 3

I'd do archery no doubt....

By the time e you might draw a rifle tag, you'll already gave another archery tag in a mid tier unit....

I like to hunt...

YMMV...

• Like 1

Balls to the wall for 14 days with a bow in your hand will produce a nice bull, assuming you're proficient with a bow, and a ton of close encounters to remember. Just saying.

• Like 3

If you do an archery hunt, be prepared to hunt for an experience more than a size of a bull. There are so many things that can go wrong with archery equipment that it's almost impossible to have the same expectations as if you were hunting with a rifle.

For me, I'd rather hunt longer and kill a nice bull than smack a giant at first light. But remember, if you want a firearms hunt, now is your chance. Once you have it, an archery tag in a normal unit won't be far off.

And oh by the way, you are not far off from an early rifle hunt in some other units. Maybe just a year or two.

You could make a nice dime by applying with another willing hunter for a premier archery hunt! Use point guard if you need to back out of hunt.

A 23N/S early archery tag would be worth at least $1k to me if I weren't out of country in Sept. A lot more to others.

Just saying

• Like 1

If I were guaranteed an early archery hunt in 23, it'd be a no Brainer. Especially with this year's schedule structure.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the input. I have been out of the archery game since my last early archery hunt in unit 10. Over the past 13 years I have not had the time to commit to any archery hunting but now I do. I know last year was a tough early archery hunt but with the date change, moon phase and moisture we are getting this year it might be off the charts. Again thank you for your input and I will let you know if I draw. To those who have offered money and guided trips I appreciate the offers but will have to decline.

I have to look, but I am in the same boat with either 17 or 18 points. I figure one more year on the Early Rifle and then I am doing the Archery bit.