Sad news to hear. :(

I met Bob a couple times over the years. 25+ ago when he was helping as a local personality for a Yellow Front store grand opening, and again in 2001 when he published my mountain lion encounter story in the AZ Repugnant outdoor section and even on the lake one time as he rode along with AGFD patrol as I recall.

Also saw him at various other outdoor venues over the years. He definitely seemed to enjoy being the unofficial expert on AZ outdoors as he spoke with people.

Rest in Peace Bob, and thanks for the memories sir.

I'll always remember him for his free fly-fishing classes that introduced people to a great way to fish in an idyllic setting.

Free fly-fishing instruction offered in Greer

Apr 1, 2005

WHITE MOUNTAINS, Ariz. - If you're looking for an excuse to head to the White Mountains, consider joining outdoor writer/broadcaster Bob Hirsch and his crew of experts for a morning of free fly-fishing (and catching) instruction at the private pond in front of Greer Lodge from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, April 16.

The roads are open and dry, the lakes are ice-free and the trout are hungry. Instructors are experts like nationally known Ron Thomas, the cartooning fisherman; DeWayne Smith, longtime outdoor writer for "The Arizona Republic" and "Phoenix Gazette;" Pinetop's Lon Ellington, who gives fly-fishing instruction, ties flies and makes custom rods; Greer "Land Man" Bob Pollack; local guide Chip Chipman; and Hirsch, who has been fly-fishing the area for more than 50 years. Mike Lopez, the Arizona Game and Fish Department's fisheries biologist for the White Mountains, will be available to talk about fishing opportunities, current conditions and the status of Apache trout recovery efforts.

It's free, it's fun and everybody is welcome - even if you've never picked up a flyrod before. Bring your own if you can, or a few extras will be available.

The "Fling" kicks off a mostly-for-fun trout derby that runs through May 15. It includes categories for men, women and two age groups for kids. Everybody has a chance at a trophy, and there's a long list of prizes just for entering. Entry fee is $5, and derby headquarters are Tin Star Trading Post in Greer at (928) 735-7540. They also have more information on the Spring Fling, including a wide range of lodging choices.

Bob and I were friends since the late 1960s, when he still was the game and fish department's public information officer. He and I also were partners in several ventures, including publishing hunting tip booklets for Yellow Front and maps of the White Mountains. He loved only one thing more than hunting and fishing, and that was his family. He instilled in all of his children that same love. Bob suffered a series of strokes over the past couple of years, including a couple of weeks or so ago that mercifully spared him from knowing that his beloved Mary's diabetes would cost her a leg one week before he died. His service will be held Saturday morning at the Church of the Beatitudes. I am saddened by his death, but doubly so because I'm checking into the hospital in the morning with a recurring problem and don't know if I'll be out in time to attend.

Bill Quimby

I'm just a youngin' but hearing his voice on the AM radio on Saturday mornings made me smile. He sounded like the grandpa we all wished we had.