kennyazman

Late archery bull. Should I do it?

These late archery hunts have been tempting me for a few years now because of the draw odds. For those that have done it, what are your thoughts? Im starting over on points and thought this might be a good way to go hunting more often but I don't want it to be a complete struggle either. What units would offer the best spot and stalk terrain during this mid November time period? Some of the units are just too rugged and the Bulls are in the nasty canyons that would make a stalk to get within archery range almost impossible. Send me a pm if you've got some advice on unit or strategies. I've taken an antelope with my bow and a mule deer. So difficult archery hunts I consider to be a fun challenge. Thanks!

I have hunted the late archery hunt in 23 twice throughout the years. If you don't have any or very low points it isn't a big deal to put in for one. However if you are starting to build points I would never blow them on those hunts. I have had chances on both hunts and shot a nice bull the last time. But they are the hardest hunts you will be on unless it happens to be completely dry and they have to hit water. Just look at the success rates. Usually below 10%.

They're real similar to a spot and stalk archery coues deer hunt if there is plenty of water in the unit you're applying for. If it's been dry, you can find success sitting water, but it doesn't mean it's easy by any means.

One thing to consider is that these hunts are later in the year, which can allow for snow to be on the ground. In many instances, you'll be stalking in crunchy snow... makes it really difficult.

• Like 1

Give it a try, at least once. I had a lot of fun on my 7e late archery hunt I did a couple years ago. It's a pretty cool experience to have a bull tag in your pocket and pretty much have the woods to your self compared to any early archery or rifle hunt. I was very successful at finding Bulls almost every day but I had crunchy snow which made stalking near impossible. One thing to consider is if you have a hunter ed point and a loyalty point, check and see how many points to get in the bonus point pass for the unit you are interested in hunting. Meaning if you put a late archery hunt as a second choice with low points you may draw the tag in the bonus pass and and never have a shot at your first choice in the 1st-2nd choice pass. As these late hunts become more popular this will be less of a problem but I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me when I drew the tag

One of my elk hunts was a late archery.

It was a frustrating hunt. Tough to get close as the elk were very skittish that late in the year. It was a also an average wet year so sitting water was a test of patience. I sat water for the first 2 days and only one coyote came into water during the day. All the elk were coming in at night. Then day 3 brought a snowstorm and there was water everywhere! I gave up that tactic and just glassed. Spot and stalk had many opportunities, but just couldn't close the deal as I couldn't get into bow range without getting busted. If it was a rifle hunt....bang, flop, game over! :)

Doubt I'd give it another try. Once I cash in my current points, I'll be appyling for late rifle hunts going forward.

Give it a try, at least once. I had a lot of fun on my 7e late archery hunt I did a couple years ago. It's a pretty cool experience to have a bull tag in your pocket and pretty much have the woods to your self compared to any early archery or rifle hunt. I was very successful at finding Bulls almost every day but I had crunchy snow which made stalking near impossible. One thing to consider is if you have a hunter ed point and a loyalty point, check and see how many points to get in the bonus point pass for the unit you are interested in hunting. Meaning if you put a late archery hunt as a second choice with low points you may draw the tag in the bonus pass and and never have a shot at your first choice in the 1st-2nd choice pass. As these late hunts become more popular this will be less of a problem but I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me when I drew the tag

Yep very aware of the danger of drawing your 2nd choice in the bonus pass. Thanks for the heads up though. The units I'm thinking of are actually no guarantee even on the late archery hunts.

Guess it depends on the type of hunter you are. If you are wanting to trophy hunt, this isn't the hunt for you. If you will take the first legal elk you see, it can be fun. I enjoyed the challenge. I am 2 for 2 on the late hunts. I sat water holes that were getting pounded and shot both bulls off them in the evening. I enjoyed having the woods to myself. Saw a few people scouting but nobody that was hunting. If you have lots of time to scout and find the elk, it can be productive. Not as fun as chasing bugles, but can be fun none the less. Just be prepared for cold and wind!