Sign in to follow this  
TOBY

Limited op cow elk.

Sorry to the youth hunters yesterday, but this cow elk needed to die. Might be pops last elk hunt. My friend glassed up bedded cows and text me that they were fairly close to a ok road. Pops is 69 with a bad heart,back,feet, and so on. So we blazed a trail and an hour later making the stalk to get dad in position. Now the guy who found these cows had a youth hunter and a fellow elk tag holder. Thus guy held off and gave dad first dibs. So after a slow stalk in and a claw and one mew dad piled a mature cow. The wife and I boned it out and carried out 190 pounds of elk back to the truck. The guy who let dad go for it first harvested a cow from the same herd as they spooked a mile their way. Good karma. Wife packed whole hind quarter out..50 pounds plus pack right at a mile one way.Going to let it hang in the walk in a few days and bacon elk burger and spicy brats going in the freezer. A good Saturday it was.

post-5912-0-84787800-1480272045_thumb.jpeg

post-5912-0-94298500-1480272059_thumb.jpeg

post-5912-0-80700300-1480272089_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

Nice story, and kudos for everyone letting your dad have dibs! Like most that post on CWT, hunting with family trumps filling a tag any day of the week!

Looks like a great day. Congrats to the hunter. At 33 yrs old I am still looking forward to the day that I get to see my dad put one in the dirt. He's been pretty selfless over the years.

• Like 1

On that note who makes a short torso pack that can haul game? Not a pink sissy girl special, but a real pack.

Mystery ranch

My faith in humanity is faltering, it's good to hear someone doing something good for someone else once in awhile. Cherish that time with your pops.

• Like 2

I wish my dad's back wasn't so messed up that he could still hunt with me. Congrats, and cherish the moments while you can. Good on the other hunters for helping out, and it sounds like karma paid them back quickly.

Harley

On that note who makes a short torso pack that can haul game? Not a pink sissy girl special, but a real pack.

Mystery ranch

Kifaru

• Like 1

All good companies back ordered til next year. I have a outdoorsman optic bag but no frame. Might head to the store and see how much adjustment i can get on a frame to possibly fit her. Waist should be good, tbd on torso adjustment.

Sounds like friends and the hunting gods smiled on your dad. good deal.

For a pack frame, you might look into the Eberlestock F1 mainframe. Sportsman's carry them too. The harness is adjustable. I am not saying this is the best, but a good option.

Look and see what REI has. I used to have an old small frame Boy Scout frame but I may have given it away. I'll look when I get home this evening.

Rei had a xsmall. Loaded it up 40 pounds and fit great.osprey 65 ag I think. Outdoorsman was a negative. This has lifetime guarantee and as long as she doesnt stalk backwards the animals wont know it is not camo.. Pretty sure we were the only republicans in the store.