Sign in to follow this  
antlers1972

Elk heart

My preferred method is:

1) Cut the heart open length-wise (top to bottom) to expose the inner chambers

2) Trim away any fibery (if that's a word) areas inside the chambers

3) Cut into thin slices cross-wise (side to side)

4) Coat with flour/salt/pepper mixture

5) Fry quickly in hot oil or lard (lard tastes best of course!)

Clean the arteries out, cut an oak board, soak the board in apple cider. Salt pepper garlic and wischesterschier sauce on the heart. Wrap it in bacon. Put the meat on the soaked board. Cook on the grill or mesquite fire for 20-30 min turning the heart atleast 3 times. When it's cooked, eat the oak board and feed the heart to the dogs!! Haha!!!

• Like 5

I love elk heart. I think Coues heart is much more tender and tasty, but I kind of fall in to the Steven Rinella philosophy of eating as much of the animal as you can. Besides, I am somewhat of a foodie and love trying new foods, no matter what it is, so it's not really a stretch for me. Mr. Natural is spot on about prepping the heart. Coues heart is much easier. I break that down in to basically 4 steaks and cook them as whole pieces to a medium rare. Super tender and tasty. I found elk to be far firmer so Mr Natural's cooking style is what I found works better too. I cut down the heart and get anything fatty our fibrous cut off. I end up with about 4 or 5 large pieces. They are all sitting in vacuum sealed packs in the freezer now. I'll have to try his recipe, but even a simple one works well. Heat a cast iron pan on the stove on med to med-hi heat, melt butter and toss in some garlic. sprinkle some kosher salt and pepper on to the meat and quickly fry on both sides. Do not over cook. You'll get the full flavor of the meat this way, which I think is great. You can also fry in reserved bacon fat. I have a high country seasoning that I put on them too. I find the heart to be a great cut of meat. And people that are afraid to be adventurous with food are often pleasantly surprised at the taste.

I got my late October Coues and my mid November bull elk, so I have a selection of liver, heart, and rocky mountain oysters (heck, let's just call em BALLS!) to experiment with now!

I was disappointed when my mule deer heart was destroyed

Heart - very good

Liver - sucks

I'm gonna be interested in how my Coues liver and elk liver turn out. I need to start researching some ways to cook it. How did you prepare the liver DesertBull? I'd have to say the Coues heart might just be the single best tasting piece of meat I have ever had in my life. Buttery soft and tender, perfect texture and consistency, and a slight tinge of liver taste all made for a fabulous flavor profile. I have not had Muley heart yet.

I prepare it by leaving it for the coyotes

Its like eating bloody jello

I'm with you man.. I brought my bison heart and liver home but the whole time cutting it I was imagining fishing for catfish. Its a smell I just can't get past. I imagine when I used to chew and would put my nasty livery fingers in mouth with a dip after cutting bait. 😟

I prepared the coues heart this year by trimming off the pericardium after quartering, clean out the blood and fibri stuff.

Salt, garlic,onion, green chili,and olive oil and tie it back together like it was before trimming and quartering.

Salt and olive oil outside of heart and place in oven preheated to 350l and bake to 150-155 and remove from oven and let rest for 10 min.

Slice and enjoy even my picky wife liked it.

Very tender and rich meat the texture was melt in your mouth.

• Like 1

Clean it up, cut it into small 1/2" cubes, get a pan hot with oil, season the meat with your favorite taco seasonings, sauté in the pan, cook up some corn tortillas into taco shells, serve with beans and cheese and el pato.