Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Late Cow Hunt

I'm going back to 7E on the 23rd to try to pinpoint the cows.. and heading up 2-3 days early before the hunt to finalize the scouting and setup a good camp spot.

I've been wondering if I'm going to need a cow call. Any luck with that in Dec? My strategy at this point is to determine how much snow is on the ground, and then find a high spot accordingly and glass as much as possible.

I'm hearing that sometimes it's a good option as a locator. Being this is my first elk hunt, I haven't a clue.

We do not have any snow on the ground now. Supposed to get some moisture next Monday, but snow level may be about 9000'.

I would not use a hoochie mama fora call.

Glassing from a high spot is a good tactic for that late rifle hunt.

Even though there may be no snow, if it is real muddy, tire chains are good to have.

I might bring some. I may leave the diesel at home and use the yukon- it's alot better with 4wd.

That beast just sinks.

Getting up high to a glassing spot wont be an issue but seeing elk will be. Went on this hunt two years ago on the only elk we ever saw were around water in the darker stuff. If your not seeing any elk up high id give that a try.

I should be up there this weekend scouting.

Last year on this hunt there was no snow, and the only place it was muddy was up higher in elevations. I am worried it won't even be real cold this year the way things are looking. Last year the first 3 days barely got above freezing.

How high up where you?

I drove all over 7e yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was in heaven just looking. With the snow today- we'll see how it looks when I head up wed.