Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Elk camp help/mentor

So I have yet to draw a tag for elk but I have been on several cow hunts and one bull archery hunt. My plan has been to wait out an early archery tag and then switch over to archery cow or late rifle/archery bull. I have a unit in mind and I have been scouting late season elk a few times. Anyway I am wondering if anyone would like to do some mentoring and get some camp/hunt help in return for one of the late hunts for elk? Unless I am injured or sick I always work hard and follow directions. I can cook, I can haul loads and hike miles on end. I can film and motivate as well. If anyone needs help or would just like an extra hand around let me know? I am off work for 2 weeks around turkey day and I am off most weekdays. Pack animals are not out of the question given trailer access and conditions of trails or lack there of.

• Like 2

Yes it is! Contact Duwane Adams directly and make the offer to him. He is a heck of a nice guy and probably the best mentor out there. He might let you tag along on some hunts just to have help on pack outs while teaching you at the same time.

• Like 3

Always cool to see some one willing to help others, themselves and learn! Shoot me a pm with some questions. I'd be glad to help you out any way possible!

• Like 1

Thanks, I don't really have questions, I've read and absorbed podcasts hours on end. I just want to get out and experience the environment late and see how A hunt goes. I really love being out no matter what the hunt. Figured if I can hang out with guys and help for the next few years maybe I'll have a better hunt when it's time to give up on early hunt draws.

• Like 1

If Mike goes on your hunt, you're going to be spoiled.

Do you glass , my son has a late 22 bull hunt and we always love sharing time in the woods with others

• Like 1

To clarify I have never had a tag myself, I have gone on every elk hunt I could cow or bull and have managed to go every year. I have butchered elk and hauled meat just have not got to carry the tag myself. I'll be out again this year on dec cow but again not my tag, I did scout the hunt, lay salt and cameras and ride the area several time this season and we should have no problem but not the same as it being me behind the gun. I am holding out for my hunt, I don't care about bull or cow to be honest but i do care about how I picture the experience. I will be packing and way off any road and it will be rough high country. That way if I suck I stil have a great trip.

Mr woody , thanks so much for your offer, I am talking over details with a couple guys who pm,d me. I will for sure let you know, 22 is where I plan to put in after I get to hunt my one archery early tag. I do glass, I have razor spotter and tripod and I'm not afraid to use them. Have bino adapter as well and a good stool. When I'm alone I tend to be grass is greener guy but on someone else's plan I can sit all day. I actually like hunting others tags better I think, a lot less pressure.

See the post in the Campfire for help needed on the Hunts for Heroes elk hunts coming up. Not that unit, and likely not learning from a pro, but I doubt you could find a better way to spend a weekend in the woods.

Mike I was thinking about trying to put a crew together to help on one of those wounded warrior hunts I'm no expert but I've killed a few and helped on quite a few others what do you think ?

Dang man gotta get you a tag! I have had a bunch of tags but it's cuz I'm all about the steaks not the antler.

My advice as always to anyone.. Dont put in for some tag (unit 9) that may take 30years to draw and then walk in with zero scouting days cuz it's not exactly next door. If you spend many days in 22 then put in for 22, if your a 5a but then put in for 5a Etc.. Good bulls everywhere and one on your home turf will probably mean more anyways. I will be rooting for you drawing a tag and will give you a shout on my next helpable elk tag unfortunately today's is a small drinker tag no glassing

• Like 2