Red Rabbit

New Elk Rifle

Don't know if you're set up for reloading, but I load for my '06 and work with TSX (165) and TTSX (168). You are welcome to come use my bench sometime, especially since you are loaning me your scope mounting tools!

Great looking rifle, too!

• Like 1

It was a nice sunny afternoon here in Flag with little wind, so I took the 30-06 and a variety of factory loads to a local pit to shoot at 100 yards.

It looks like the Barnes factory load with the 150 TTSX was its favorite. I tried with and without a doubled washcloth over the front bag. I did not hold the forearm.

Barnes factory 150TTSX (3 shots without cloth)

150TTSXBarnesFactory_0003_zpsyl96vsvf.jp

Barnes factory 150TTSX (3 shots with cloth)

150TTSXwith30-06%20Targets_0004_zpscturz

Barnes factory 168TTSX, (5 shots with called pull)

168TTSX30-06%20Targets_0005_zpsmamk1i9r.

Federal Premium 180 Copper (4 shots without cloth)

180%20Federal%20Premim%20Copper_zpsfkqmr

I also tried Nosler factory loads with the 168 e-tip and 180 e-tip. Results were abysmal and not worth to photo.

• Like 4

I'm not understanding the cloth / no cloth. Seems to make quite the difference...?

I took a once-folded washcloth and laid atop the front bag for cushion. Some have said it helps with a light rifle.

great looking gun! if you do not want to feed those condors lead, throw some copper at them! HA

Hunt starts in a week. Getting anxious. Went out shooting yesterday to 400 yards and checked the B&C hash marks and POI off the bipod and 150 TTSX. GTG. You know how it is with a newish, virgin rifle ;-)

• Like 1

I hear you. My cow elk hunt is closing in fast and I have a new rifle I am going to use and I may even change the scope before the season if the new one shows up by then...

I have my old reliable dialed in and ready though, just in case.

Good luck on your hunt.

The sun has set on another late rifle elk hunt in unit 9.

Ed1600-9%20Elk%20Hunt%202016_0035_zpsctn

I had driven to my favorite area on Thanksgiving day to set up a spartan camp and look for any elk in the evening. The area seems to hold bulls and few cows. It was a nice walk to a glassing hill with Rica.

Opening morning had Rica and I on the edge of the opening at first light. If the two bulls had not been walking near the top of a ridge and skylined their antlers, I would not have seen then in the din of dawn. I figured they were over 600 yards away, but I had to circle back to get some small pinyon trees in between so I could close the gap to within 400 yards. By time I peaked around the chosen pinyon, they had mad it the 50 yards off the end of the ridge and into the trees. Late for the train I was. That evening I saw a spike bull.

The barren ridge that I had seen the two bulls crossing across provides a good glassing spot to see the tree line below the end, and about 800 yards to the north and south to catch any elk crossing the opening. That is where I was Saturday morning. About 8:30 AM I noticed a solitary bull crossing the meadow. I grabbed my gear, dropped down below the ridge top, and walked quickly to the southern end of the ridge where I hoped to cut him off and have a decent shot. I had just set up my shooting tripod and was trying to range him when I heard two shots ring out. Looking at the bull through the binoculars, I could see him do his death stagger. Late for the train again.

It turns out that the lucky hunter was a 65 year old CHAMP hunter, and this was his first bull elk, even though he had hunted his whole life. This was a good event that made me happy. After they field dressed the elk, I helped load him in their truck and then walked back to camp for some lunch.

Sunday evening brought 8 inches of snow to the area. I figured that Monday morning would have the elk moving, but the no elk tracks streamed across the opening. That evening I tried a distant opening, but the only movement seen was a Chevy truck.

Tuesday morning, not even the crows were flying. That evening, a five point came out on the treeline 20 minutes after sunset. I would have close the distance by circling 600 yards and race a truck coming along a road with its lights on. I figured I would lose that race before the truck buggered the bull back into the trees. Late for the train again as the bull did vanish.

Wednesday evening arrived after an uneventful morning. Next to the last day and close to crunch time. I am scanning the treeline from the perch atop the original ridge. No elk. But there is a coyote traipsing the edge looking for dinner. I give a few squeaks with pursed lips and he starts coming from about 150 yards away. I watch through the binos as he nears, stops and stares my way and sniffing the air. A few more lip kisses and he tilts his head back and forth like a metronome. I guess he finally caught my scent as the wind was in his general direction, and he turned and trotted off. He must not have spooked too bad as in a few minutes, I saw him carrying off a cottontail. Back to glassing for elk, but none to be seen. Almost 30 minutes after sunset. I check if I can still see my crosshairs and it's pretty close. Wait, where did he come from. Guess he had just jumped the fence into the opening. Looks to be a wide 6 point. Grab the pack, rifle, tripod, rangefinder and hustle directly at him. It is the only chance with darkness descending quickly. Down into a shallow draw and up until I can hopefully see him. Man, this crusty snow is noisy. I finally rise up far enough out of the draw to where I detect a dark brown form. I sense that he heard me coming and finally saw me. He whirled and was gone. It was too dark and I could not see antlers. Late for the train again.

Last day of the season is tomorrow, so I load camp and head to where the elk tracks have reportedly tore up the snow. A morning glass of the scattered sagebrush openings turned up just sage on Thursday morning. I had not hunted this part of the unit in 20 years, so took a midday drive to find a good evening spot. A raggy 4 point walked out 50 yards in front of the truck, saw me and quickly said "yikes, I'm outta here." That was to be the only elk seen that last day of the season as the evening brought only two herds of mule deer does.

Sure am glad I like beef, cause as the commercial once said, "Beef. It's what's for dinner"

• Like 4

That's gotta be awful setting up for a shot and hearing someone elses gun go off. Then again Id feel pretty bad knowing I just blew a 65 year old champ hunters chance at his first bull. Sorry you came home empty handed, if it was easy everyone would do it.

Sorry for the train always seeming to be a little ahead of you Doug. Enjoyed the read and following along on reliving your journey.