Sign in to follow this  
ghottle

Late season calling

I have a late season bull tag and I am looking for some advise from you experienced elk hunters. Is using calls basically a waste of time or would it be worthwhile? If calling would work, what type of calling would be better?

I had the Nov. Archery hunt last year and younger bullswere still bugling. Dont expect to call anything in but you can still locate.

We will use a cow call while we are hiking in and out of areas. Elk are very noisy and a cow call can put them at ease if they are close by. I don't know if you would ever be able to call anything in though.

Thanks for your help, I have been deer hunting a lot. However, this is my first elk hunt, so I am trying to learn as I go.

I had several bulls bugle last night in unit 7. I wish I had my cow call to try and get closer to them.

All depends on the year. Most times it's a waste of time but every now and then they will have a 2nd rut in November. One rifle season many years ago they were screaming, chasing cows, and coming to the call. It was awesome!