fatfootdoc

what type of tires do you guys run?

Check out the Cooper Discovery, it is between a M/T and an A/T tread. I made the change from BFG to these and they seem to be holding up every bit as good as the BFG A/T.

post-192-1189805255_thumb.jpg

I do a lot more highway driving and although my comment is related more to light truck and SUV for primarily street use, I thought you might be interested in this.

In the last 5 weeks I have had 2 highway speed blowouts (1 rear, 1 front) on my truck, with less than 20k miles and less than 2 years old all season tires. Dunlop GT Qualifiers. Won't ever buy Dunlops again. Both blewout after running about 90 miles at 65-75mph on good roads. About 18 months ago I had 1 other of the same tires replaced due to a sidewall cut driving on the street in glendale AZ. 3 out of 4 dunlop tires failed in less than 2 years. There's something to put on your advertisements.

Oh, Road hazard warranties by the way, generally are good for no more than 3 years. If you don't drive a lot and tires last more than 3 years, consider if the RH will be worth it for you.

I also replaced 4 Hankook tires HRO3 I think on the wife's SUV which were rated for 60k but we only got about 30k on them, all on road driving.

Our driving is primarily highway speeds with 30-40 miles minimum between stops, and I can't afford to chance bad tires.

Big O tires always wore super fast on my vehicles and since I have no discount tire near me, I find that some of the best information on choosing tires can be found at www.tirerack.com . Lots of MFR information, specs, weather and speed ratings, revs per mile etc.. plus a vast library of actual customer user ratings and comments. I also find them to have very good pricing and quick delivery.

So far, I have bought 2 full sets of tires from them and think they will be my main source from here out.

I do a lot more highway driving and although my comment is related more to light truck and SUV for primarily street use, I thought you might be interested in this.

In the last 5 weeks I have had 2 highway speed blowouts (1 rear, 1 front) on my truck, with less than 20k miles and less than 2 years old all season tires. Dunlop GT Qualifiers. Won't ever buy Dunlops again. Big O tires always wore super fast on my vehicles and since I have no discount tire near me, I find that some of the best information on choosing tires can be found at www.tirerack.com . Lots of MFR information, specs, weather and speed ratings, revs per mile etc.. plus a vast library of actual customer user ratings and comments. I also find them to have very good pricing and quick delivery.

So far, I have bought 2 full sets of tires from them and think they will be my main source from here out.

I had the same experience with Dunlop tires on my then new 1974 3/4-ton 4x4 Chevy truck. Constant blow-outs, even with the free replacements. And these were the original factory tires. That's when I switched to the BFG ATs, which I ran on that Chevy, three Nissan 4x4 trucks and the Dodge I now own. I've NEVER had one AT blow and I think I've had like all of three flats in that time -- all caused by either nails or screws and never any due to tire failure or cuts. One other reason I like the ATs is the noise factor. Although the thread is somewhat aggressive, they run quiet compared to some of the other brand's aggressive threads.

As for Big O or Discount, they will get you about any tire you want and will even compete over the prices! In fact, I usually buy my ATs from a Big O that's only two blocks away from me. I called both Big O and Discount yesterday to price four tires and both not only beat Walmart's ONLINE price, but matched each other for total that included mounting, stems, lifetime balance, taxes and warranty. -TONY