AzDiamondHeat

what unit?

50 rut tags and posse hunting with kids = A lot of mature deer being taken out of the gene pool= that many more putting in for the general tag=a even more decimated deer population than it was already before. Rut tags should be rotated thru units that can suffice them and changed each year so the unit can recover from being wiped out. When its not your backyard it doesnt bother you guys, but its mine and its disgusting what G$F have done to this unit. As for kid hunts I am all for them...been there done that. Rut tags for kids just learning to hunt I have my own opinion on that.

Come on now you act like I have not seen the same thing In My Own Back Yard??? Let's not talk about what G and F has done to my unit, 6A look at the amount of hunters they let in every year its crazy. I have seen the quality of elk in the past 20 years decline year over year. I completely agree rut tags should be rotated through all the units in regards to deer.

But back to the kids, What hunt do you want them to have, a hunt where they see almost no deer at all and the success rate is 20% at best?? That's not doing much for are future hunters IMO, I would have no problem if for one year all they allowed to hunt in 6A was kids.

the kids get first crack at the deer every year in the youth hunts dont they? Not all units run the same youth before general season format

But back to the kids, What hunt do you want them to have, a hunt where they see almost no deer at all and the success rate is 20% at best?? That's not doing much for are future hunters IMO, I would have no problem if for one year all they allowed to hunt in 6A was kids.

So you are saying the retention of future hunters is based off of success? I do not buy that at all and from what I have researched there is no evidence to prove that it does. There are enough Small game and Big game opportunities to hook, grow and retain future hunters without the youth Hunts for Deer and Elk. Part of the learning curve of any angling or hunting is the lesson in humility and understanding that there are no guarantees. Youth hunts are the equivalency of Giving all Kids who participate in a sport a trophy just so they stay interested, IMO, and that IMO is a bad habit.

• Like 1

I won't go into hunt numbers, but years back AZOD came out and ruined a good local desert unit. Then its neighboring unit got hosed from the same guy"helping fellow hunters""just don't tell anyone". This year I couldnt even draw the rifle tag I have had every year since 1985 and G$F ruined it by putting a rut youth hunt there last year and this year again. Call me selfish but I will keep what spots I have left to myself.

50 rut tags and posse hunting with kids = A lot of mature deer being taken out of the gene pool= that many more putting in for the general tag=a even more decimated deer population than it was already before. Rut tags should be rotated thru units that can suffice them and changed each year so the unit can recover from being wiped out. When its not your backyard it doesnt bother you guys, but its mine and its disgusting what G$F have done to this unit. As for kid hunts I am all for them...been there done that. Rut tags for kids just learning to hunt I have my own opinion on that.

I could not disagree more. The unit your talking about is in the middle of a 15year rebound. I too have been hunting this unit for 20years. The last few years I have seen more bucks than ever before.. Even with the youth rut tags the success rate is still very low. The mule deer foundation is doing a giant water project this weekend. I think this unit will only get better. Plus most people either complain about access and/or road hunt. Both drive the deer sighing and success rate into to tank.

What better way to intro kids to hunting that letting them hunt with perfect weather and loads of deer running amuck.

OH that's the unit you were alluding too. Well I am putting in for that unit next year :)

• Like 1

So you are saying the retention of future hunters is based off of success? I do not buy that at all and from what I have researched there is no evidence to prove that it does. There are enough Small game and Big game opportunities to hook, grow and retain future hunters without the youth Hunts for Deer and Elk. Part of the learning curve of any angling or hunting is the lesson in humility and understanding that there are no guarantees. Youth hunts are the equivalency of Giving all Kids who participate in a sport a trophy just so they stay interested, IMO, and that IMO is a bad habit.

. Youth hunts are far from a gimme. In some units they are the 3 rd back to back to rifle deer hunt .
  • Like 1

How many hunters do you talk to that say they got hooked on hunting because they were unsuccessful- Its rhetorical so don't tell me you know A LOT

I say let the kids have some TROPHY'S, I can't even tag out on spikes most of the time so it wont effect my success. No they MAY not appreciate it as much as an adult who has been after the same trophy spending 1000's of dollars and years in the field but who cares. Its the adults who are doing the majority of the work anyway- packing, driving, spending $$$, glassing, packing out etc.

I would LOVE to see and PAY $$$ to see my kid tag a big animal. I LOVE seeing kids tag ANYTHING.

• Like 1

Hard for me to ever complain about any youth hunt, in any unit, at any time of the year. Kids are the future when it comes to hunting.

Hey 6Anut since no one can figure out what unit we hunt I say when our little ones get old enough to youth hunt- HUNT Party at your family's CABIN! I'll bring the Disney JR haha

• Like 1

this.

. Youth hunts are far from a gimme. In some units they are the 3 rd back to back to rifle deer hunt .

Never said they were a gimmie .... But a big difference from mid 55-58% Success and and 28-32% Success ... My only point is that there is not proof that youth hunts = more life long hunters.

How many hunters do you talk to that say they got hooked on hunting because they were unsuccessful- Its rhetorical so don't tell me you know A LOT

I say let the kids have some TROPHY'S, I can't even tag out on spikes most of the time so it wont effect my success. No they MAY not appreciate it as much as an adult who has been after the same trophy spending 1000's of dollars and years in the field but who cares. Its the adults who are doing the majority of the work anyway- packing, driving, spending $$$, glassing, packing out etc.

I would LOVE to see and PAY $$$ to see my kid tag a big animal. I LOVE seeing kids tag ANYTHING.

THIS

Hard for me to ever complain about any youth hunt, in any unit, at any time of the year. Kids are the future when it comes to hunting.

Hey 6Anut since no one can figure out what unit we hunt I say when our little ones get old enough to youth hunt- HUNT Party at your family's CABIN! I'll bring the Disney JR haha

Paw Patrol for sure these days and yeah I cant wait to get her in the field and let's party.

• Like 1

Have any of you guys thinking that youth hunts are bad ever been on a youth hunt with a kid? It's not much easier than a normal general hunt. I suppose the youth run hunt might be a bit of a gimme but I've not experienced one of those but the early October youth hunts are friggin hot and the deer have usually just shed their velvet or are very close. Deer that just shed their velvet are generally less active than deer in August/september and less active than deer in late November for sure. I hunt with multiple kids every single year and never do we have to work less during the youth hunts. The early youth hunts are great for somebody trying to keep tabs on a particular deer for their kid and plan on killing him opening day but even then, it's not much different than a late Oct hunt. The only difference is that you are not having to compete with a faster, better equipped, more experienced adult hunter that is ahead of you on the same ridge because he got to take time off work and camp in the area while the kid you are hunting with got 5 hours of sleep because he had a football game the night before. The youth hunts are great for the kids. They're great because the kid still has to work his or her butt off to be successful but they don't have to compete with the adults while doing it. I disagree with your statement str8shot. Sorry. The youth hunts are far from a participation trophy.

Have any of you guys thinking that youth hunts are bad ever been on a youth hunt with a kid? It's not much easier than a normal general hunt. I suppose the youth run hunt might be a bit of a gimme but I've not experienced one of those but the early October youth hunts are friggin hot and the deer have usually just shed their velvet or are very close. Deer that just shed their velvet are generally less active than deer in August/september and less active than deer in late November for sure. I hunt with multiple kids every single year and never do we have to work less during the youth hunts. The early youth hunts are great for somebody trying to keep tabs on a particular deer for their kid and plan on killing him opening day but even then, it's not much different than a late Oct hunt. The only difference is that you are not having to compete with a faster, better equipped, more experienced adult hunter that is ahead of you on the same ridge because he got to take time off work and camp in the area while the kid you are hunting with got 5 hours of sleep because he had a football game the night before. The youth hunts are great for the kids. They're great because the kid still has to work his or her butt off to be successful but they don't have to compete with the adults while doing it. I disagree with your statement str8shot. Sorry. The youth hunts are far from a participation trophy.

I'd say the unit 12 doe hunt is the easiest youth hunt in the state. Easy being a comparative term. It is an AWESOME way to just get some experience under the belt and have a high rate of success.

oops broke my own rule- well now its out there guys....there are lots of does in 12A. I better not see all of you applying for the youth doe hunts up there.

Who is against youth hunts? I don't see how giving kids trophy hunts pertains to hunter retention.

didn't you say you were?? Right after you wanted to take away christmas, hanuka and the tooth fairy from all children. JK

I see both sides of the argument. I don't think dropping a TROPHY pertains to hunter retention but do believe tagging out can. Personally, I got my first muley in kiabab when I was 14. I always loved hunting with my dad before that but was HOOKED from that point. I felt the rush. On a side note I had never actually been with my dad when he tagged out until I was 18....I think I was the problem hahaha