AzDiamondHeat

what unit?

For those of you who think it affects the draw, are you going to change your future applications based on a story and a pic someone posts on here? Are your friends?

How many people do you think will be influenced by a 300 class bull to go put in for that unit? Or even a 330? Do we not know already that these bulls exist in every unit? How about a 350+? What unit did not produce a 350 class bull this year?

If I post up a 380 that I killed in 4a will you all start applying? Will an onslaught of others apply to the point that 4a becomes like 10 or 23? Do you REALLY believe that?

Why is it that the BIG bulls are always posted with the unit? Most of the BIG ones come from known "trophy" units anyway.

I think it is just a different mindset these days. We all think there are secrets, but in reality there are very few.

I guess it is just a change in the mentality of the hunter and the atmosphere in which we hunt.

Nowadays I care more about being out in the woods than the kill. I want to see my children out in the woods and soon my grand kids.

And I like a good story.

I'm with bonecollector. With as much effort as I've put in to some places I really have no desire to sparks someone's interest in the unit because in reality lots of units arent near as big as they used to seem. I can cover most any unit with Google earth pretty quickly. I love to share pics too. One decent background pic and any skilled Google earth user can dial right in to it if they know the unit. Alot of it has to do with the fact that I hunt alot of unpopular units. I know a lot of guys that used to hunt some of these units but have moved on the some of the more popular units because of the amount of large deer those units produce. If some of those guys knew what units some of the bucks that I was showing them pictures of came from, then they would almost certainly come back and focus on these units again. Just about every serious coues hunter I know halfbutt keeps track of what units the giants are being killed in. No matter what there is gonna be X amount of rifle tags in every unit, but if I can keep some of the serious coues guys from knowing what units I might be seeing big deer in, then maybe just maybe there will be less of those serious guys in my unit and more of the weekend warriors getting the tags. I'm really not super anal about sharing the unit, but I'm probably not gonna share the unit online if I can help it. I know somebody who killed a really good deer last year. He was pretty open about what unit he shot it in. It seemed like the unit of kill popped up I'm just about every conversation I had with other people about that deer. Ironically, a large portion of those people now have tags in that same unit this year for the first time. People want to protect their investments. Sharing the unit may not feel like a big deal to some but to the people who pour their heart into finding really special deer or even just like having places all to themselves, sharing the unit can feel like you're threatening everything you've worked for. That's a little bit of an exaggeration but it's the truth.

• Like 3

And I may not apply for 4a if you killed a 380 bull there but if you're the 5th or 6th person to show a pic of a 350 plus bull there then yes I may apply for that unit since I'm low on points and looking for an easier to draw unit that what I normally apply for. Its not all about inches either. Just the fact that people are having alot of success in 4a on nice mature bulls then that may just sway my decision for next year.

• Like 1

I guess it is just a change in the mentality of the hunter and the atmosphere in which we hunt.

Nowadays I care more about being out in the woods than the kill. I want to see my children out in the woods and soon my grand kids.

And I like a good story.

lets flip this around. what difference does it make what unit it was killed in? why does not knowing the unit # impact your satisfaction of the story? the guys that draw regularly and have above average success are finding sleeper units/hunts and making a substantive improvement in their odds of hunting/drawing. lots of drama over nothing here folks...move on...nothing to see here :ph34r:

I don't think it comes down to the members on here anyway. It comes down to the 1000 people that just does internet research when it's time to put in. Members on here for the most part have their own units and area's and are not likely to change.

• Like 5

If I post up a 380 that I killed in 4a will you all start applying? Will an onslaught of others apply to the point that 4a becomes like 10 or 23? Do you REALLY believe that?

How do you think 10 and 23 got to be the way they are???

I'm not saying it is the only cause or effect but they didn't get to be that way by people keeping their mouth shut!!!

I might change my number one choice if all the sudden I start seeing pictures of big bulls being taken from Unit 4a, for sure!!!

I'm not saying it is the only cause or effect but they didn't get to be that way by people keeping their mouth shut!!!

23 has been a top 3 choice for a good majority of applicants for 30 + years ... Unit 10 it was only a matter of time until the herd size grew and it started producing Quality Bulls in Good numbers... I will give you, that the popularity of 10 was probably sped up a few years do to Articles and Internet postings showing Both quality and Quantity. I would not go that far for 23.

• Like 1

23 has been a top 3 choice for a good majority of applicants for 30 + years ... Unit 10 it was only a matter of time until the herd size grew and it started producing Quality Bulls in Good numbers... I will give you, that the popularity of 10 was probably sped up a few years do to Articles and Internet postings showing Both quality and Quantity. I would not go that far for 23.

I blame location mostly for 23 masses..........but if you are an outsider applying......23 pops up pretty high on the list!!!