Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

7x57 Mauser loads?

Does anyone load for this dinosaur? I just picked up a mid 80's ruger m77 tang safety I am going to load for. I am thinking about 162 gr ELD-X or 160gr Nosler Partitions. Any tips or hints? Thoughts? (Beside me being wierd and liking oddball calibers)

Harley

Most 7x57's have a long throat originally for the 175 gr round nose that was standard in the early years of this cartridge. Assuming your gun does, my favorite load is a 140 Nosler partition with 47 gr of Win 760, CCI standard primer and Winchester case, seat the bullet out near the lands. In my rifle ( a custom Mauser that is Mannlicher stocked with a 21" barrel) I get just over 2800 fps. This load is super accurate in my rifle and this combination has taken whitetail, mule & blacktail deer, antelope and elk. The best thing about the 7x57 is that it is very soft shooting for the performance and both my wife and sister have used this rifle and load with success.

I also have a "elk load" that uses a 160 Nosler partition with R19 but I have to look it up if you are interested.

Most 7x57's have a long throat originally for the 175 gr round nose that was standard in the early years of this cartridge. Assuming your gun does, my favorite load is a 140 Nosler partition with 47 gr of Win 760, CCI standard primer and Winchester case, seat the bullet out near the lands. In my rifle ( a custom Mauser that is Mannlicher stocked with a 21" barrel) I get just over 2800 fps. This load is super accurate in my rifle and this combination has taken whitetail, mule & blacktail deer, antelope and elk. The best thing about the 7x57 is that it is very soft shooting for the performance and both my wife and sister have used this rifle and load with success.

I also have a "elk load" that uses a 160 Nosler partition with R19 but I have to look it up if you are interested.

Not to hijack Hoss' thread but I would love to see a picture of your rifle. I built a Mannlicher stocked 6.5x284 on a Mauser action.

Not a hijack. I want to see it too. I like mannlicher rifles. I am working on an elk load so if you have that recipe I would appreciate it.

I bought this rifle because I like 7x57 but I also have young sons who will need a good gun to shoot in a few years.

Here are some pics of my rifle in 7x57 including a pic from when my wife used it to kill a nice bull in 3c a few years ago.

post-13720-0-83383000-1474130811_thumb.jpg

post-13720-0-80383600-1474130838_thumb.jpg

post-13720-0-50847600-1474130864_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I looked up the elk load for my rifle; it is a max load developed in my rifle so be cautious.

It is slightly compressed and requires the extra case capacity gained by seating the bullet out. My load is 160 Nosler partition, 48.5 gr of R19, Winchester case, CCI large rifle primer, bullet seated for a 3.122 oal.

This load goes right at 2700fps in my rifle. It shot right through the elk in the pic, shot behind the shoulder at about 130 yards, took two steps and collapsed.

Here is a pic of a loaded round.

When my wife had that hunt I developed a practice load with components that I had on hand but it worked well and had very low recoil. The load was 120 gr Speer spitzer with 40gr of 4895, bullet seated to the ogive. The velocity was close to the 160 gr load at 2700. My wife shot the gun with that load all summer before her hunt, the lack of recoil made it fun and she gained a ton of confidence.

post-13720-0-58169300-1474134564_thumb.jpg

Very nice rifle and bull. Thank you for the load info.

I just received the November 2016 issue of SHooting Times: good article in there about loading the 7X57. If you don't subscribe, it may be on line.