creed

Solo elk hunting

Hunted 5bs last year and after open weekend all my help left and I killed a bull on day 4 solo. Luckily for me I was able to drive my side by side right up to my bull. Took me an hour and half to skin/quartering it up. I was sore for the next 3 days.

• Like 5

Last Nov was my very first elk hunt and I did it solo with a bow. Didn't fill the tag but learned a ton through observation, self criticism, and making more than few mistakes. I experienced the frustration of a late season hunt first hand and with my own decisions guiding, and sabotaging, my efforts. Had a very decent bull at 40yds but you can't shoot an arrow through oak brush and manzanita. The thrill of being that close, which also validated the decisions that put me there, were worth the entire hunt, empty tag and all. I was out there 9 days of the season and wouldn't have wanted it any other way (other than filling my tag by myself).

Somehow I beat all the odds this year and drew the same hunt this Nov. Still a tough hunt, the late ones always are. But I'll be headed into the same unit again with the knowledge gained from last year and will almost certainly be doing it alone again. Not many of my buddies want to live out of a tent in rim country in Nov. Honestly, I can't even imagine heading back to a lodge/hotel/rental house every night. To me that seems to unnecessarily complicate the process. I'll pack it out however I can, as long as it takes. It'll be tougher than it needs to be but who cares? That's part of the whole experience for me. I'm not some loner who's super anti-social but being away from people is why I put a pack on. I'm headed into the CO high country for a week the end of Sept chasing cutties that rarely see a 2-legged predator for the same reasons. Being out there alone and self sufficient cleanses my soul, reminds me of what's important, and resets a tired and cynical mind.

Do it. Take the risk. Put yourself in a position to fail, then feel the satisfaction when you don't. Its all about perspective and priorities. I'd rather come home empty than hang out in a camp with a half dozen guys.

• Like 5

Last Nov was my very first elk hunt and I did it solo with a bow. Didn't fill the tag but learned a ton through observation, self criticism, and making more than few mistakes. I experienced the frustration of a late season hunt first hand and with my own decisions guiding, and sabotaging, my efforts. Had a very decent bull at 40yds but you can't shoot an arrow through oak brush and manzanita. The thrill of being that close, which also validated the decisions that put me there, were worth the entire hunt, empty tag and all. I was out there 9 days of the season and wouldn't have wanted it any other way (other than filling my tag by myself).

Somehow I beat all the odds this year and drew the same hunt this Nov. Still a tough hunt, the late ones always are. But I'll be headed into the same unit again with the knowledge gained from last year and will almost certainly be doing it alone again. Not many of my buddies want to live out of a tent in rim country in Nov. Honestly, I can't even imagine heading back to a lodge/hotel/rental house every night. To me that seems to unnecessarily complicate the process. I'll pack it out however I can, as long as it takes. It'll be tougher than it needs to be but who cares? That's part of the whole experience for me. I'm not some loner who's super anti-social but being away from people is why I put a pack on. I'm headed into the CO high country for a week the end of Sept chasing cutties that rarely see a 2-legged predator for the same reasons. Being out there alone and self sufficient cleanses my soul, reminds me of what's important, and resets a tired and cynical mind.

Do it. Take the risk. Put yourself in a position to fail, then feel the satisfaction when you don't. Its all about perspective and priorities. I'd rather come home empty than hang out in a camp with a half dozen guys.

Nicely put! Best of luck this season!