mulie hunter

3a/3c late rifle bull

My two sons and my dad drew this tag. Going to start scouting it this weekend. I have already bought a forest service map and have a couple areas to Start scouting. Thinking Black Canyon lake first area to scout,to get some trout fishing inπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜„πŸ˜Š.

Any info on herd movement during the late hunt would be appreciated. Please feel free to pm me.

Thanks in advance.

That can be an extremely tough late hunt. The majority of the bulls have moved off to the reservation. I suggest you listen to the Jay Scott Outdoors podcast episode #108. He talks with Dan Franco from Burnt Timber Outfitters who lives in and guides a lot in 3A/3C. If I recall correctly they spend a fair amount of time talking about that late hunt.

Try around clay mind and ridges around that area. Also within 1mile of the highway they hang out in burned areas in the winter.

We have a place in the middle of 3c and I have been studying hunting here. Plus 1 on the podcast 108. They go over this hunt for sure.

One guy I talked to said he wouldn't wish this hunt on his enemies.

I can tell you I've ridden and jogged a lot of miles in 3c and I mostly see horse and cattle dung by a long shot.

This native wild horse thing is getting to be a bit silly

• Like 2

My son had this hunt 2 years back, he missed everything he shot at but we saw plenty of bulls, don't get why everyone is down on this hunt.

Helped a bud out on this hunt last year. Some of the most beautiful country I've ever had the pleasure to be in. One of the best units I've been in for glassing. We came home empty handed but I feel I did learn a lot about this hunt. The rim road is mighty tempting and we worked our tails off working almost every canyon but saw nothing but cows and a few rag horns. Also tons of road hunters. The few people we had met who tagged out shot little bulls. I feel like nearly all decent bulls either dropped into the rez or north down into the cedars. Weather wasn't bad and no snow last year but still nothing worth while up high so I would recommend hunting lower. I think this is a unit that takes some time to master and understand. I feel like a bad a## in my units I normally hunt but I got humbled after this hunt last year.

I have had this hunt years ago and also have a cabin in the unit. As others have said, it will likely be a tough hunt. I don't think it will do much good to scout until much closer to the hunt unless you're just trying to get general lay of the land, etc. Depending on if I'm working come November, I may be available if you want some assistance.

I will definitely listen to the podcast And buglechaser if your available in November. We would love your assistance. My goal now is to learn a bit about the lay of the land.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I really appreciate it

Hunt near the res line. Chances are, you'll catch something headed there opening morning being pushed by other hunters.

Get to the rim edge/res line before light and watch the elk running for the fence in the to dark to shoot hours. Looks like the elk Olympics.

• Like 1

First off it is a bull elk tag so feel blessed...2 this hunt can be very bad...depending on feed/water/pressure you can often times go 2-3 days without seeing a branched antler bull. I've been lucky to help take some of the best bulls I've seen taken on this late hunt and I still don't like it... Some years you find bulls regularly on our side...most years they stay in the rez.

• Like 1

Just back from scouting the unit. Going back in two weeks.post-940-0-44579700-1477869840_thumb.jpg

Found a great breakfast spot!!June's cafe!!

I am interested in areas to scout that might receive less pressure during the hunt. I checked the area around black canyon lake and 300 rd this time.

Appreciate any info on areas to scout in two weeks.

Thanks