MathewQuigly

OTC elk

Hard hunt, what location you looking to try. My only success has been during the rut.

I used to live in the Verde Valley OTC unit and saw elk very often...even nice bulls. Been a few years now though.

• Like 1

Hard hunt, what location you looking to try. My only success has been during the rut.

That's what I'm looking for what areas are available and when. I thought I would try it this year been thinking about it for a while and may do it this year

That's what I'm looking for what areas are available and when. I thought I would try it this year been thinking about it for a while and may do it this year

Call the g&f office and ask for the ph # for the warden for whatever unit you are looking at. He can give you some info that would be very helpful.

James

• Like 1

I found some info before I went to work on there web site and saved it. I didn't have time to really read it so not sure if it's what I'm looking for.

OTC Verde Valley used to have elk. Now it is a waste of money. Think the unbelievable number of transients helped kill off any remaining elk. When the Prescott Jail closed and they started shipping all those people to the Verde Valley things changed a lot around here. I now pack a pistol all the time after having my life threatened more than once. Those elk used to be able to go to the river for water. Now there are illegal camps every half mile. Turned in 5 camps in one day. Somehow local law enforcement never caught anyone.

People still get into elk by Winslow along the Little Colorado river and by Alamo lake.

Good luck. I am sure you can get it done if you want to spend a few weeks at it or call TLO and still expect at least a week.

• Like 1

That's good info and real sorry to here that about the Verde Valley. I have fond memories as a kid in the valley during the summers. Kinda sounds like Leo's don't want to catch the vagrants

There are a fair amount of elk in 28 if you know where to look. Locals shoot them every year. Some good ones too

OTC Verde Valley used to have elk. Now it is a waste of money. Think the unbelievable number of transients helped kill off any remaining elk. When the Prescott Jail closed and they started shipping all those people to the Verde Valley things changed a lot around here. I now pack a pistol all the time after having my life threatened more than once. Those elk used to be able to go to the river for water. Now there are illegal camps every half mile. Turned in 5 camps in one day. Somehow local law enforcement never caught anyone.

People still get into elk by Winslow along the Little Colorado river and by Alamo lake.

Good luck. I am sure you can get it done if you want to spend a few weeks at it or call TLO and still expect at least a week.

I was hiking yesterday between Grief Hill and 169. Came around a bend in the trail and startled what looked like 3 cow elk under some junipers. Only got a couple seconds glimpse before they scrambled over a crest 150 yards from me but 90% certain they were elk. I've been up and down those hills a lot, never seen them there before.

Any place in the Blackhills (basically the whole west side of the Verde Valley) has a scattering of elk. These herds are the ones most people hunt during the 19A and 21 draw. They are NOT included in the OTC tag area. If AES could get approval to do a bunch of Water for Wildlife projects in the Blackhills it would result in some great elk habitat. Hunting would be similiar to unit 8 if they created enough water sources. These elk are generally in very rough country relying on a limited number of small water sources. Lots of predation has occured when calving due to limited water sources only in easy ambush areas.

Some large groups can be found in 21 but in 19a when you do find them it is generally just 3-5 at a time. I heard that someone saw some south of 169 out in the open last weekend on the 19a side. I generally see some elk in 19a every couple months. If I went looking for them I would expect that I would see some every 5 days or so.

I plan on attempting the OTC hunt in unit 6A. Any time in the woods beats sittin' at work.