Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Using horses

just watched bowmadness - south dakota show - not sure if that's where they were hunting antelope but they were using horses as a blocker out in the open plains .

had a herd of antelope usually with in 70 yrds by just walking beside/ behind the horses - to block the antelopes view - hunter just stepped out in front of horse, off to the side - he did this several times before takin the shot - there was a guide - hunter- camera man and 2 saddled horses

he finally took a shot at 62 yrds

EDGE where are you going to be on my 10 tag next yr.!

seems like a new technique - maybe even for elk in the open meadows

• Like 2

I have had many buddies hunt antelope out of state using horses to do just what your talking about. I can tell you it works a lot better then those dang Zebu cow blinds. watched 2 guys chase a herd of goats all around on my 2011 19a hunt. The goats werent buying the 7 foot tall cow that was walking around..haha

• Like 2

just watched bowmadness - south dakota show - not sure if that's where they were hunting antelope but they were using horses as a blocker out in the open plains .

had a herd of antelope usually with in 70 yrds by just walking beside/ behind the horses - to block the antelopes view - hunter just stepped out in front of horse, off to the side - he did this several times before takin the shot - there was a guide - hunter- camera man and 2 saddled horses

he finally took a shot at 62 yrds

EDGE where are you going to be on my 10 tag next yr.!

seems like a new technique - maybe even for elk in the open meadows

I was just reading where this is being outlawed; WY maybe? But heck, I thought flagging would be illegal, it works great.

You're a pretty big boy, Gary. Send me a deposit for my draft mare. Lol first time I rode her with MulePackHunter along, he said I looked like a postage stamp on a big, big parcel.

I remember watching a YouTube video on a antelope hunt in New Mexico (I think?) from last season. There was 3 people total and they were stalking antelope from a homemade cow decoy from what looked like was made of cardboard and black bed sheet. All 3 would walk behind it and get pretty close to them. The design wasn't even that great, it mostly looked like a giant rectangle with a little mis-shaped head. No ears, tail, legs etc. They had cut two small rectangles out on the body to look through. Pretty cool idea and it worked for them. I believe they got off a shot around 50 yards. Not bad for a home made decoy.

It works. Just circle the antelope so you always stay behind the horse until it's time to shoot. It takes a prettt good, mild mannered horse, or couple of them.

was waitin for the "famed quote" from Jeremiah Johnson movie

Don't know it.

You get drawn, let's do it.

Two years ago I emerged from the treeline to notice Big Red staring ahead at a small Antelope herd not far from your place, Gary. They didn't seem too concerned about us. If you look to the left of Red, you can see their dust, we got pretty close without really trying. Sometimes I'm just slow with the camera.

post-11051-0-20660400-1463442308_thumb.jpgpost-11051-0-02675600-1463442331_thumb.jpg

the quote - "elk don' t know how many feet a horse has" just before firing the .50 over the saddle horn and the horse going nuts near knockn ole Jeremiah out

how close do you shoot from your horses ?

the quote - "elk don' t know how many feet a horse has" just before firing the .50 over the saddle horn and the horse going nuts near knockn ole Jeremiah out

how close do you shoot from your horses ?

You can stand right in front of them. They're used to hearing rabbits and skunks shot around them

A little work and you can shoot from the saddle if you'd like, I'll film it.