Sign in to follow this  
ghottle

Late rifle elk

I need some advise, I drew a late rifle 7E bull tag. This will be my 1st elk hunt. Since it is well after rut, I would assume that any calling would be worthless. Is the best tactic just to wear out some boot leather, and get high and glass? i have hunted deer for years, but elk are going to be a new adventure, I can't wait!

Wearing out boot leather and getting high to glass is the best tactic for basically any hunt

• Like 6

My cousin will be in 7E for the late hunt too. And if I finish with my kids hunts early in 7W, I will be helping him. Good luck.

My brother had this hunt a few years ago find the nastiest area around water and u should run into something. Also get up on those tall mins and glass. Opening morning I believe a glassed over 30 hunters, quite depressing.

I had the november archery hunt last year in 7e and I learned quite a lot. There are resident elk in all elevation ranges but cold weather or snow will concentrate them to lower elevations so pray for snow. I would focus on trying to find the best glassing locations and 7e has a lot of them. Also look at all corners of the unit. If there is a pine, juniper or oak then its elk habitat and a lot of the unit is over looked and never hunted.

Tough hunt. There are alot of roads so alot of road hunters. Find water and get away from roads. I had the late rifle cow hunt there last year which is a week after the bull hunt. I saw 0 bull elk on my hunt. It can be done but you better get deep and know your rifle.

We took 2 cow elk last year. The shortest shot was 260 yards.

Thanks guys, that is about what I figured. I knew it would be a tough hunt going in, I am just glad to have the opportunity to give it a try.

• Like 1