Mattule

Lets see 'em

I have not seen many pictures of any bucks yet. I went to unit 7 and two buddies tagged out with fork mulies but I had no such luck. I did have an 18 yard shot at a Tom turkey though. Went like this, drew the bow ever so stealthly, boldly peeked through the peep, saw my golden opportunity, quickly let her fly just to hear a loud crash. When the dust and from them scattering turkeys cleared I saw My 100gr muzzy and the front half of my arrow on one side and the tail end of my arrow on the other :D . Stuck a rock about a foot after it cleared my rest. :o Confusious say; watch the trajectory of those arrows boys. I hope you all faired better.

Matt

I dont have a photo of it, but I got a decent buck. I tokk the rack directly to the taxidermist. I will have it scored in a few months. I didnt get my 110+ buck, but I got the other one that I thought was good. He is a heavy 3x3 that will easily go 100". It was a fun hunt, but I am a little dissapointed in myself. I made a perfect shot at noon on friday on him, but couldnt find him till yesterday. This is the reason I have no photos of him. I walked all over the place to try to find him, I looked for buzzards and crows, I couldnt find a blood trail or anything. I finally smelled him yesterday, and got my rack. I wish I would have found him friday, but a bear had a good meal.

GMM

Guest Ernesto C

Hey GM Man congrats on your success,yea to bad you did not find him earlier but you should be proud of that buck,any buck harvested with a bow should have a very special place on your heart once again congratulations.

We will be waiting for the official score and pictures,take care.

Ernesto C.

Great job! Don't worry, at least you found him. Yoiu might not get to enjoy eating him but you will always have a great reward for all your hard work! :)

Did you have pictures of him, trail cam or maybe how you found him? how was he hit? I only ask because my worst fear is to lose a deer or any game animal!

:)

GMM, I commend you on your ethics to put the tag on that deer and not half a$$ look for him instead of getting the other one knowing he was still around. Sorry you lost him for a while but I am unaware of a bow hunter that has not had a similar experience. I know they are out there I just don't know them.

Matt

Ditto on what Mattule said:

Searching hard and long for an animal is character appraisal at it's best. One who halfheartedly searches until he is tired or finds another animal to shoot does not belong in the sport.

Cannot say how many I have seen with just a head taken off while I was out hunting. Your situation as an example, maybe some of those guys I cursed were actually in a similar situation as you! Afterall I would not want to pack out a carcass if it was spoiled and ravaged by bears, yotes and lions.

Thanks for your ethics and another perspective!

There are a ton of guys out there that say they have never wounded an animal. They always wait for the perfect shot and always hit where the aim.

I only have one thing to say to them. You are a rookie if you haven't had enough opportunities to screw up or have some bad luck and wound an animal. It isn't a matter of IF it is going to happen but a matter of WHEN.

Congrats on finding your animal even if it was a few days latter. I've looked for animals a few days later just like you did. Check the sky and look for birds. Or just take a walk and look for birds that you kicked up. Sometimes they can be your best friend.

I'll be the first to say that I've hit and not recovered my share of animals but I look for them until there are no other options. That is all you can do.

Cangrats on a nice buck,

recurveman

I have wounded one animal and found him the next morning, but I still believe that I am a rookie because the other 3 big game animals I have gotten have dropped in there tracks.

GMM, congratulations on a great buck!! It is like an emotional rollercoaster not to be able to find an animal that you've shot, after all the hard work just to get in position for a shot. I know the feeling, and you did the right thing.

Thanks guys, what you said helps with my dissapointment in myself for not finding it sooner. I had a couple more chances at a couple of 90" bucks, but passed because I wanted my buck. He only went 300 yards from where I shot him, but made it into a nasty, thick canyon. I walked right by him on the first day, about 30 minutes after I had shot him, but there was no blood trail, and it was too rocky for tracks. I walked a total of 27 miles in search of him, (at least that is what my gps said) stumbling around about a 4 mile radius from where I shot him. I knew I made a great shot, but when I found no blood, I started second guessing myself. I put bears on hold during my search also. I had a good chance at a good size bear, but I wanted to either find my deer, either dead, or alive, at least I would find it. I am excited now, I am going to start my bear hunt now, I hope to see that bear again. I also hope he gives me that 30 yard broadside shot again!!

I will go to the taxidermist and get some photos of the rack, my dad wants to see it, and I will post it if I can

Good luck to everyone else!

GMM

GMM, I have lost a buck in the Kaibab and an archery bull up north that just absolutely made me sick, I was ready to pack it up and go home after I couldn't find my bull but my buddy convinced me to stay. What taxidermist do you use? I just got my 2003 coues back yesterday from Wellers Studios here in Tucson and they did a magnificent job, I highly recommend them.

Good luck on your bear.

hey GMM,

its me, that kid bouncin around in a purple toyota all weekend. on my way out on monday we decided to drive up the road just for good measures, and i spotted two deer grazing, i put my binos on them and it appeared to be two does, but i got out and looked a little closer and one grew little spikes. we stalked to within twelve yards and my friend took the shot and missed by about 5 feet! he trotted off and stopped a little ways down the canyon and this time we got within 25 yards, and he hit him perfectly, he only ran maybe 40 yards. its a little dinky buck, but it was his first deer, and it was a coues with a bow, not a bad feat.

Hey thats awsome! was it his first? We saw a huge WT in unit 31, when I first saw its rack I thought it was a mule deer. I only got a side view so I dont know how wide it is.

GMM

Hey Galiuro (and everyone else),

First day ever on this site, and it really seems like a bunch of good folks.

I've drawn a tag for unit 31 and naturally Galiuro's post perked my ears up...

So, I have "bowhiked" the lower areas of 31 just once for mulies, but I've never even seen a coues and am starting all of my research right here.

High country? Low? Water holes? Take the first one you get a good shot at? etc.

Of course it would be crazy to ask where Galiuro saw the huge guy -- but -- Galiuro, where did you see that huge guy???

Looking forward to learning from all of you.

Thanks for any info you may have,

Peter