Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Elk hunting tips for a new elk hunter

First step is search for all elk websites and e scout them. Search those web sites for "ELK". If all else fails go to the unit and walk around.

• Like 1

The older I get the less it seems that I purposely call elk. Hasn't seemed to affect success rate though. Have noticed some significant changes in elk calling tactics/effectiveness though over the years and interested if other older hunters are experiencing the same?

My first 40 years of hunting the rut elk hunts in units 27 and 1 it seemed that the cow calls were most effective in calling in bulls. I would use a diaphragm with grunt tube which worked real well. Admittedly I can't call as good as years ago due to the dental bridge I now have in front, but the cow chirp is still a valuable tool when trying to get that bull in for the final few yards and execution. I'm thinking though it may not be all me in declining cow call quality and maybe the Hoochie Mamma and extra hunting pressures verses years ago has trained the elk to avoid the cow calls moreso now. I now have significantly more success calling in bulls with a bull call whereas years ago I just used my personally made call as a locator. For some reason the 370-380 class bulls are marching right in to my home made call like never before. Our last two bulls were in the 370-380 class and didn't hesitate much coming into my bull call. I won't get into details of construction but the prototype was given to me from a guiding buddy that used it in the 1960's. I guess it is so effective because it is not intimidating like many of the commercial bull calls now days and sounds like a 5-point rag horn that is a nuisance to them. For some reason it seems the bull calls have become more effective getting bulls all the way in the last 5 years verses cow calls being more effective the previous 40 years. Anyone else experiencing this??

I don't even know what to say when someone asks for a comment on 40 yrs of elk hunting.

I am surprised to see all the comments about calling. Honestly for a first timer I would suggest just listening and getting in front of the elk. I really try not to tell elk I am there if I don't have to.

But hey nobody ever confused me with an expert elk hunter.

• Like 3

The older I get the less it seems that I purposely call elk. Hasn't seemed to affect success rate though. Have noticed some significant changes in elk calling tactics/effectiveness though over the years and interested if other older hunters are experiencing the same?

My first 40 years of hunting the rut elk hunts in units 27 and 1 it seemed that the cow calls were most effective in calling in bulls. I would use a diaphragm with grunt tube which worked real well. Admittedly I can't call as good as years ago due to the dental bridge I now have in front, but the cow chirp is still a valuable tool when trying to get that bull in for the final few yards and execution. I'm thinking though it may not be all me in declining cow call quality and maybe the Hoochie Mamma and extra hunting pressures verses years ago has trained the elk to avoid the cow calls moreso now. I now have significantly more success calling in bulls with a bull call whereas years ago I just used my personally made call as a locator. For some reason the 370-380 class bulls are marching right in to my home made call like never before. Our last two bulls were in the 370-380 class and didn't hesitate much coming into my bull call. I won't get into details of construction but the prototype was given to me from a guiding buddy that used it in the 1960's. I guess it is so effective because it is not intimidating like many of the commercial bull calls now days and sounds like a 5-point rag horn that is a nuisance to them. For some reason it seems the bull calls have become more effective getting bulls all the way in the last 5 years verses cow calls being more effective the previous 40 years. Anyone else experiencing this??

There has definitely been a big change in elk behavior over the years. Those stove pipe whistle calls used to bring Bulls in like crazy.! I don't know if it's as simple as cow calls switching back to bugles though. I truly believe it depends on the area and what the elk have learned to be spooked from. people have been doing way more cow calling in the last 10 years or so and the elk (I'm sure) have learned to be leery of them in many places. Now there has been a real shift back to bugling which is all we used to do years ago. Full circle! The one thing I do know though is that the bugle is a much more difficult call to master. An average caller can sound like a real elk with several different types of calls on the market. I don't think I have ever once been fooled by a hunters bugle. Especially the grunts and chuckles!

• Like 1

Bugling and cow calls are becoming overused. I love it when I hunt the first two weeks of Sept. and you have hunters blowing like it is full on rut. The elk that were starting to talk shut up. Read as much as you can, talk to other hunters to learn as much as you can. Read as much as you can about elk biology so you can find the elk. Then observe and try to use what you have learned to help you while hunting. Every year I learn at least one new thing the elk teach me.

• Like 2

My advice is waaaaaaaaaaay less calling, and never ever ever ever from a truck, and more sneekee! Big bulls typically don't get killed coming to calls, it happens but not nearly as much as tv and call makers would have you believe. Find water or wallows and try to slip in on them when they are on their feet.

• Like 1

Yes so many hunters pull off a road at a strategic spot and bugle without question it is impacting elk behaviors. Admittedly I even do this occasionally (not while hunting) but just to verify if the elk are in a certain canyon. When I get just one single and unrepeated response and then silence the message they seem to be sending me is FU I know you are another goofball hunter!!

The response of elk to calling has certainly evolved over the past few years. Each Labor Day weekend the woods are full of campers blowing calls, then the season starts and the woods are filled with hunters who have bought new calls and a good DVD. The elk have grown increasingly call shy.

In general, I only use calls to mimic what the elk are doing naturally. For example, if a heard is filtering through the pines making only an occasional mew, it is not time to break out the hyper hot. If bulls are only offering only a scant response to distant bugles, moving in and challenging them is not the best move.

With both my last two Bulls, 2015 and 2013, I located Bulls at a distance with a bugle. I then closed in silently, keeping my ears open to any indication of where the heard was. Once I worked my way into range of feeding cows, I set up and waited for the bull to come and check them. By the time he did, I was relaxed, ready and knew the distances of all shooting lanes. I only blew a call after the shot. It's not how I hunted a decade ago, but it worked out well.

Of course, if you hit one of those magical days when the elk are screaming, vocal and active, well just join in the fun!

Good luck

• Like 4

Leave your calls at home, you don't need them. Biggest mistake first timers make is using calls. If you do use them, use very sparingly at most. Since i stopped calling ive killed my 3 biggest bulls, all over 385. Also i learned that if you heard something from anyones podcast or read anything in an article it's to late to use that advice. If everyone's doing something it's time to change it up cause it's old news and elk don't like old news. Honestly do exactly the opposite of what your hearing in the articles and you'll do fine. I never figured out why people want to copy what everyone else is doing and especially when it's being broadcast.

Leave your calls at home, you don't need them. Biggest mistake first timers make is using calls. If you do use them, use very sparingly at most. Since i stopped calling ive killed my 3 biggest bulls, all over 385. Also i learned that if you heard something from anyones podcast or read anything in an article it's to late to use that advice. If everyone's doing something it's time to change it up cause it's old news and elk don't like old news. Honestly do exactly the opposite of what your hearing in the articles and you'll do fine. I never figured out why people want to copy what everyone else is doing and especially when it's being broadcast.

3 over 385"? whoa. how about some pics?

• Like 1

Sorry greyghost, i don't post pics of my kills and never have. Maybe a family members occasionally, but not my own. It's just easier that way, besides it's not about the person who kills it to me but more about the animal.

Sorry greyghost, i don't post pics of my kills and never have. Maybe a family members occasionally, but not my own. It's just easier that way, besides it's not about the person who kills it to me but more about the animal.

I agree. That's why we are asking for pics of your bulls and not you 😀

• Like 1