Sign in to follow this  
KingJeff187

What's with all the clowning on cyber scouters?

Now don't get me wrong I am no cyber scouter. But I do fall in the catagory of guys who is willing to share my knowledge with somebody who is in need of it. Last year I was able to help several people who i had never met be sucessful on their hunts. One guy simply asked if someone could give him a place to start in unit 8, Gave him a few pointers and a few areas to check and he was able to harvest his cow. Had my buddy ask if i had any small bucks coming to water in to any of my spots last year. He wanted to help his friend tag his first archery buck. I set him up on a tank i hunt that had a funky little buck hitting it. He was able to harvest his first archery deer. Helped My buddy and his wife tag their first elk last year too. My point is that instead of being so quick to clown somebody, Think about if you did'nt have that one person in your life that taught you what you know about hunting. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have that person in their lives. Keep that in mind the next time you see someone who might need a little direction.

• Like 10

Sharing information within a circle of friends is substantially different than posting "starting points" on the web. Open discussion concerning technique, preparation, etc. is a non issue.

• Like 4

Couldn't have said it better myself kingjeff. Never hurts to help a fella out with some spots to try. Should be done through private message though.

• Like 1

there is a difference in needing a little help and when you get drawn, make a CW account and post 1 is asking where to find animals. you will notice that people on here that contribute and help people are much more likely to get advice when they need it than joehunter ask for help on his first post. e scouting destroys "hot spots" these forums are public. e scouting is nothing like what you mentioned

• Like 5

Ive learned my lesson sharing spots with other hunters. A couple of places I hunted quail before are now devoid of quail. My buddy went with me opening weekend and I wasn't able to go the second, so he took 6 guys from Intel. I now help others but sparingly.

• Like 4

there is a difference in needing a little help and when you get drawn, make a CW account and post 1 is asking where to find animals. you will notice that people on here that contribute and help people are much more likely to get advice when they need it than joehunter ask for help on his first post. e scouting destroys "hot spots" these forums are public. e scouting is nothing like what you mentioned

All of the information i shared was in private messages, I understand how much the internet has changed sharing information.

I always cringe when I see somebody give out information that to them is no big deal but that I know to myself or others is hard one hard-fought and hard work for information of not necessarily a honey hole but a favorite spot. For example it happens to my body and unit 29 all the time. For me, a 36B Hunter it doesn't seem to happen all that much but when names of areas come up I do tend to cringe. To dum up what another member had said, loose lips sink ships.

• Like 1

I always cringe when I see somebody give out information that to them is no big deal but that I know to myself or others is hard one hard-fought and hard work for information of not necessarily a honey hole but a favorite spot. For example it happens to my body and unit 29 all the time. For me, a 36B Hunter it doesn't seem to happen all that much but when names of areas come up I do tend to cringe. To dum up what another member had said, loose lips sink ships.

For me sharing information is no different than when I hunt my spots and i run into guys who havent seen anything all day and i've already blown 4 stalks that day. Those who take the information and put the hard work in along with it deserve to reap the benifits. Those who gather information to try to half butt their way through a hunt rarely suceed in my opinion.

I look at what I share like clearance levels ...

Joe Blow post one - Go to AZGFD where to Hunt ... Start There

Newish active member - may post local start points outside what G&F offer that are really no secret.

Active members that have contributed for a couple years plus - PM with a little more specific info to Very specific info and ask them to keep it close to the cuff.

The reality is. Any Hunter using G&F "where to Hunt" info as a starting point + google earth, a couple tanks of gas, a couple weekends, and some decent miles on the boots should find opportunity for a fun and possibly successful hunt.

Have not been down to 36B for a few years and This year will be a big group of us hitting it hopefully .. So will see if much of the info I have shared for down there has led to spots being overrun.

The funny thing is I find myself more tight lip about my fishing spots than hunting.

• Like 5

I look at what I share like clearance levels ...

Joe Blow post one - Go to AZGFD where to Hunt ... Start There

Newish active member - may post local start points outside what G&F offer that are really no secret.

Active members that have contributed for a couple years plus - PM with a little more specific info to Very specific info and ask them to keep it close to the cuff.

The reality is. Any Hunter using G&F "where to Hunt" info as a starting point + google earth, a couple tanks of gas, a couple weekends, and some decent miles on the boots should find opportunity for a fun and possibly successful hunt.

Have not been down to 36B for a few years and This year will be a big group of us hitting it hopefully .. So will see if much of the info I have shared for down there has led to spots being overrun.

The funny thing is I find myself more tight lip about my fishing spots than hunting.

I'm with you on the fishing spot thing.HaHa

Half the fun is scouting. Just one more reason to leave the city and go play!

• Like 2

The other part of getting help from someone, is getting their permission to share or take others to those spots. I do not take people to places that others have confided in me with. I know guides that do not like to guide Arizona hunters for this very reason.

• Like 1

For me sharing information is no different than when I hunt my spots and i run into guys who havent seen anything all day and i've already blown 4 stalks that day. Those who take the information and put the hard work in along with it deserve to reap the benifits. Those who gather information to try to half butt their way through a hunt rarely suceed in my opinion.

You understand this is the internet right? So if you share something on the Internet it can be seen by Untold thousands if not tens of thousands of people? I don't know about you I just don't want to share the land with that many people, who haven't put the time and effort into finding the areas. We just found the areas through a keyboard and Google Earth.

I helped a few different guys out last year with spots on the condition that they not share that info with others. I am selective on who I share my hard fought places with.

• Like 1