jeepers creepers

.270 WIn Bullet Grain?

Jeepers,

Not necessarily. There area bunch of factors, ballistic coefficient of the bullet, amount of powder pushing the bullet just to name a few. Plus the wrong combination of lightweight bullet and high speeds can cause problems as well. I shoot the .270 for Coues. I prefer the 140 grain, and I am shooting Federal factory ammo with the Accubond and I have had great success. When I started looking for bullets I looked for a bullet that I was comfortable with expansion wise, then got several boxes to see what shot the best. The best groups I got out of my Rem 700 was with the Accubond. Probably way more info than you wanted, hope it helps. I'm sure that there are some 130 and 150 combinations that work as well.

Wait for some of the reloaders like RedRabbit and Firstcoues to give there opinion as well.

I'm sure Lark has an opinion as well, but he proably wants you to shoot a 250 grain bullet and sneak within 50 yards (Sorry Lark, I had to say it).

i shoot a 100 grain hornady out of mine.....shoots real flat, and about 3400 fps.......great coues bullet, killed a few with this load at some pretty far ranges....350+ yards

Thanks, for the great info.

I saw Remington carries a 115 grain that is supose to be 50% less recoil. I really don't know if the recoil matters that much to me, but was interested more in holding a tight group for LONGER shots.

Try to buy a few different selections and see which one groups best in your gun. I shoot a BAR in .270 and the Federal premiums group the best in my gun. 130 grain Sierra GameKings group well for me and so do 150 grain Partitions. Remingtons are all over the place.

Darren hit it on the head. Higher speed will get a bullet there faster and flatter out to about 500 yards. after that, the BC takes over to keep the energy.

Out of my 270, I shoot the same bullet that Darren does. In my 270wsm, I push the same bullet ( 140 accubond with a BC of .496) at 3200 fps.

shoot a 130 or 1 40 grain bullet and you will be good!

I have two differnt .270's and they both shoot 150 gr. Ballistic tips great. It might take you a while to find one that shoots really good . When you do stick with it!

Thanks, for the great info.

I saw Remington carries a 115 grain that is supose to be 50% less recoil. I really don't know if the recoil matters that much to me, but was interested more in holding a tight group for LONGER shots.

Those 115 Light recoil loads will drop like a rock... they dont have alot of powder in them thats why they are light recoil

I would really suggest buying a box of federal 140 accubonds and see how they shoot. I have a OLD 721 .270 and it shoots those just as good as my custom 270wsm shoots handloads!

in a .270 you put any bullet in it and all the powder you want and shoot it and it will kill somethin'. that's just the way they are. Lark.

I tried some 150gr Fushion rounds, boy did they seem to drop at 200yds compared to the 130gr Winchester. THe Winchester was dead level and just about an 1 1/2 inches to the right. While the Fushion was about 4-5 inches lower. This was even shooting with a vice on a table. I'll try something else next week or maybe just stay with the Winchester.

Im tellin ya, try the federal premium accubond load! BELIVE ME ON THIS ONE!!!

Ya what he said! I reload my 140gr Accubond and they shoot very well!

If you want a light bullet, go with the Barnes TSX 110 gr. They are not listed under the .270, but they are as a 6.8 mm, which is the exact same diameter. It will shoot flat and fast, and have awesome stopping power. I just loaded some up, and they work like a champ.

If you want a light bullet, go with the Barnes TSX 110 gr. They are not listed under the .270, but they are as a 6.8 mm, which is the exact same diameter. It will shoot flat and fast, and have awesome stopping power. I just loaded some up, and they work like a champ.

6.8 is the same as .270? I've never heard that before. Anyone else?