Sign in to follow this  
CouesHunterAZ

First time archery elk hunting Unit 6B - Advice on materials and scouting

Hello all,

Well after 7 years of dreaming I have finally drawn an archery bull elk tag. The only issue is I have never been archery elk hunting before and have only been able to go on one elk hunt in another unit. The research begins now for me, and I know that this site is a pool of knowledge and I am looking for some help.

My three primary questions are

1) What materials are a necessity for this hunt? Such as a call, different pack set up, scent spray, etc.

2) I currently have my bow set up at 62 pounds at a 31" length. What arrows/broadhead combos would you recommend, and do I need to change the weight? Do I need to have a back up bow for the hunt or will my current bow work be fine?

3) I truly have no idea where to start scouting, I wanted to post now so people don't think I am just looking for an area in the unit I get drawn for. So can I begin scouting within the next few weeks and just try to follow the elk as they migrate or should I start scouting in areas that the elk are supposed to move into? I am guessing I should start where the junipers and pines are running into each other as I have heard this is where elk usually drop their sheds but I honestly have no idea.

I will keep everyone updated on my progress within the next few months and honestly could not be happier to be able to finally go look for some bulls to put on the hit list in September.

Thanks

Pm me what unit you draw, i would love to help out with some spots. I know some really good ones in most units. Congrats on the tag!!!

I would get a single reed call and start practicing with it now. I think mine is primos. So many guys stop by walmart the night before their hunt and just start blowing. Its quite comical and you can easily hear the difference between an elk and an inexperienced hunter. Watch videos on YouTube and pay attention to their calling sequence and sounds and watch how elk react.scouting is kind of moot. I would start no more than a couple weeks before your hunt. The bulls only start coming out of their deep cover locations a few weeks before the rut. Dont worry too much about finding bulls on an early archery hunt. You will find them. Just start a good hour before sunup in the dark, locate a bugle and move in. Sometimes calling isn't nessicary and just put yourself ahead of where they are going.

• Like 2

I would absolutely start scouting now!! Especially if you are not very familiar with the unit. Learn all the roads, good out and hike. Be looking for glassing spots, canyons, just get out and learn the country!! My one rule while hunting and guiding...there is ALWAYS something you can do to improve your odds. Sitting at home watching TV is not improving your odds, neither is sitting in camp during the hunt. Sounds like your current set up will be just fine. Get a good cut on contact broadleaf and start shooting!! Congrats man!!

• Like 2

My all around hunt setup is my badlands 2200, 15x56 binos, tripod, 10x42 binos, bugle, assortment diaphragm calls, couple open reed calls, good pair of broke in boots, havalon knife/blades, 5-6 game bags/pillow cases, decoy, camcorder, camelback. Wash everything scent free and spray down before I start hunting. If you're gonna call practice all summer - elk know a crappy call.

As long as your bow shoots darts and you use the summer to dial it in it sounds like your setup is fine. I practice out to 70 yards just in case. The fun thing about archery elk is that your shots will likely be under 50. Slick trick 100 magnums shoot well out of my current setup.

I use an elk tag as an excuse to take the kids camping 2-3 time a summer, explore so new ground, waterholes, roads, camp spots, glassing knobs, and hang some cams. I generally have 2-3 areas I watch and elevations vary from lower in pinyon/cedars to pines at 7000+ ft (unit depending). I don't get too worried about finding bulls in the summer but find good concentrations of cows and hope for a hot rut when the hunt comes around.

Here's a good read on member thoughts on tactics and strategy.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/20542-elk-in-pinyonsjunipers/

• Like 2

When I have a good tag or I am undertaking a hunt as a mission of some sort I will dedicate 3-4 hours per week to getting ready. Some weeks that means google earth and marking up some maps, scouting, shooting, reading, organizing my notes, calling land owners, escouting, contacting previous tag holders etc.

Just do something every single week, it will make you more confident by the time you get out there and the experience will be more rewarding.

Good luck, I am jealous.

Congrats on the tag! You will have the time of your life! One often overlooked piece of gear for an archery elk hunt is your fitness. Start getting into shape now! You need to be in real good shape to get into canyons where they will be hiding and even more important, after the shot you need to be able to get him out! Don't worry so much about what you will need. Chances are you already have everything you need. Decent binos. Decent hunting clothes. Your bow is fine I would maybe take it to a good pro shop and have them check it out, the sooner the better. Maybe get a back up set of strings for it just in case. You don't want to have to try and order new ones a week before your hunt or even worse, try to get your bow tuned 2 weeks before hunting season. Get some diaphragm calls and practice them in the car on your way to work. Don't get a Hoochie Mama! Go to Elknut.com. He has some real good bugles that are easy to use, along with some good books and videos on how to use them. Paul is a great guy to talk to also if you have any questions about elk.

Great topic, this is my first elk hunt as well.

So yeah, I'll have to get some calls- mine will be rifle though not archery. I think I got a 4a Late Bull, but we'll see when the results come out.

I hear the Under Armour 4.0 base layers are warm..

Great topic, this is my first elk hunt as well.

So yeah, I'll have to get some calls- mine will be rifle though not archery. I think I got a 4a Late Bull, but we'll see when the results come out.

I hear the Under Armour 4.0 base layers are warm..

You probably wont need calls on that hunt. UA is good, I either have something Merino wool or I used the EWCS base layers from Bass Pro on my 4B late hunt last year and was super warm with that and just pants and a light early season jacket in the snow.

I'm sure you will get some good advice here but you should also scroll through the "elk hunting" and "bows, arrows, broadheads" topics and look at all the threads lots of good info discussed in the past!

• Like 1

Quality has gotten so bad on big box company diaphragms. Seems like about 2 out of 10 will sound good and the same. I would order a couole different diaphragms from Phelps game calls. They are way better and more consistent than any other companies right now

• Like 1