Sign in to follow this  
tomharveyb

White Mountain Apache elk

Well- now that my cc hasn't been hit, I'm exploring other options. Anybody out there ever do the wmat general hunt? It's cow,or spike and is on the west side of the res. At least you would get to chase elk and it's not terrible in cost. Also does anybody know the odds of drawing? Not too much info on this,

Last year I knew of a group of 12 that put in for the archery hunt (cow,calf, or spike) and two were drawn. My understanding is the later the season the better the draw odds.

Draw odds arent too bad. They dont give em. Last time we put in we drew 2 of 3. The hunt is in the burn area and can be tough. We did not fill our tags but di have one missed shot. We were kind of crippled a bit cuz it was my wife and i with our then 2 yr old. Well worth the $ in my opinion.

While back u used to be able to hunt the other areas. Wed tag out in the first day ot two. It was also sold over the counter first come first served.

The December Hunts for Cow/Spike on WMAT are cold but very productive .... If you are looking to put meat in the freezer it is a good way ... The archery Raghorn can be excellent as well but unlike 5 years ago when getting one of those tags was almost a sure thing, the secret is out with a lot more competition for the tags.

The December Hunts for Cow/Spike on WMAT are cold but very productive .... If you are looking to put meat in the freezer it is a good way ... The archery Raghorn can be excellent as well but unlike 5 years ago when getting one of those tags was almost a sure thing, the secret is out with a lot more competition for the tags.

^^^

Very very difficult to get a tag anymore. Weather plays a huge role in the hunt. If there is snow, it can be real difficult to move around in that unit. Roads are definitely not the best; coupled with snow, you need to be prepared for it.

For the money? Hard to say. If it snows you out, then no it's not worth the money.

Are there "guide" fees or any other fees to do these hunts on the res?

Res hunts are still something of an unknown commodity, which makes some of them not overly difficult to get. Posting and drawing attention to them like this doesn't help. :( :( :(

Shhhhh!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Res hunts are still something of an unknown commodity, which makes some of them not overly difficult to get. Posting and drawing attention to them like this doesn't help. :( :( :(

Shhhhh!!!!!!!!

the price keeps most of us po' boys out of the running anyway.

• Like 1