RdRdrFan

Outfitter help

So I either drew 5BS or 8 archery tags. I think I have it narrowed down to two outfitters but wanted to get recommendations from you guys to make sure I'm not missing someone. So if you had been putting in for 10 years and finally drew one of these tags (most likely 5BS), who would you use?

A3 knows the areas very well! Ever year they scout tirelessly putting more hours in the field than anyone else. Many of their local guys have generations of experience in both 5bs and 8. They have guys that exclusively scout those areas looking for auction quality bulls every year. Can't go wrong with boots on the ground with a reputable outfitter like that. That's my choice!

• Like 1

I would recommend you go ahead and not get one. Why do you feel you should?

Been banking points for a long time (10 years) and I want to maximize my opportunity. I'm a non-resident and will have zero opportunity to scout prior to driving out for the hunt.

• Like 7

Call Matt at Borderland Adventures, thats his backyard. Hes a great guy & will do his best for you

• Like 2

A3 knows the areas very well! Ever year they scout tirelessly putting more hours in the field than anyone else. Many of their local guys have generations of experience in both 5bs and 8. They have guys that exclusively scout those areas looking for auction quality bulls every year. Can't go wrong with boots on the ground with a reputable outfitter like that. That's my choice!

Good points.

A3 is one of the two I was referencing in my original post. I agree with the points you made. The other outfitter I'm considering is somewhat on the other end of the spectrum. I know that they don't scout as much in 5BS but he guides in 5B (N & S) almost exclusively when it comes to elk. Smaller outfitter but his success in 5BS is hard to argue with. Due to the fact that he doesn't live close to the unit, he can't scout as much as A3 but I'll be damned if he doesn't put his clients on some pigs every year based on what I've been able to find through my research.

Please keep the suggestions coming folks!

Call Matt at Borderland Adventures, thats his backyard. Hes a great guy & will do his best for you

Thanks. I'm assuming you are referring to the chance I drew 8, right? When I looked on Borderland's website it lists the units that they hunt and 5BS isn't on there.

hands down best outfitter especially in 5BS is Steven Ward of wards outfitters you owe it to your self to at least look him up and talk with him and its free to ask questions, he has the best track record in that unit of trophy class bulls, you will not regret your choice.

• Like 2

hands down best outfitter especially in 5BS is Steven Ward of wards outfitters you owe it to your self to at least look him up and talk with him and its free to ask questions, he has the best track record in that unit of trophy class bulls, you will not regret your choice.

Steven is the other outfitter that I'm looking at. Part of me is glad to see such a good recommendation. But it makes the decision that much harder.

Wasn't really trying to be cryptic in my original post. I just didn't want to lead the conversation or limit folks on their ability to give a recommendation.

So has anyone here hunted with Wards or A3 in 5BS or 8?

• Like 1

Congrats on the tag, I had the early 5b south bull tag in 2011 it's great unit but I never did seal the deal only a few close encounters.

Congrats on the tag sounds like you are doing home work good luck on your hunt and your guide selection

I've hunted 5bs quit a bit and every time I've hunted it I've run across Wards guides. I have never seen A3 on a hunt. Wards clients have killed some great bulls in there. You probably can't go wrong with either choice.