Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

New to hunting these birds and have ??????'s

I am taking my son on his 1st turkey hunt in 2 weeks. We will be attending the Jr Turkey Camp in unit 27/1. I have never gone so this is all new to me with the exception of watching videos. My camping/hunting boxes are filled with all kinds of deer/pig and elk gear, my questions is: What do I need to go out and purchase for this hunt? We have the normal camo clothes, do I need face paint or just the pullover see through face masks? I was told a seat cushion for the long periods of sitting. I am hoping we get a mentor for at least the 1st day for calling purposes, do I need a scratch box/turkey call/reed etc.....

Weather is always unpredictable, but what can I expect for these units in April. I was told it gets very windy up there.

If you guys have a turkey item check list that you use, I wouldn't mind plagiarizing it for future hunts. I am told once you go, you'll be addicted for life.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

The mornings can be really cold, especially for kids. I'd make sure he has more than enough to keep him warm to make for a more pleasurable experience.

An inexpensive pullover face mask would be sufficient for the hunt. If your camo is patterned for similar terrain I wouldn't worry about buying anymore.

If you know how to use mouth calls, they're a lot of fun to use. If not, a pot call would be good to pickup and learn how to use before the hunt. Do a little looking around on YouTube or whatever to learn some of the basic tactics behind how to use the striker to attain the sounds you want. I'd focus mostly trying to learn yelping and clucks with so little time before the hunt. Be consistent with those and you should be fine.

I'd put a sling on the shotgun he is using if it's not equipped with one already. Makes it a bit easier. Butt pads are nice to have as well. A lot of turkey vests have them built into the vest already.

Once you call one in and see it strutting around you'll be hooked. Tons of fun. Good luck.

I use those camo face nets that are built into a camo hat. I find them very convenient since they can be tucked up into the hat for the times you don't need and then easily dropped out to cover your face when you are waiting for a gobbler to come in to your calls. And yes, for sure a seat pad of some kind so you can be comfortable enough to sit still. In addition to being a cushion, it will help keep you and your son warmer as you sit and wait. Because turkey hunting can involve sitting in the predawn hours near a roost, it can be hard to stay warm enough. So plan for whatever you and your son need to stay warm when not moving for long periods of time.

What they said. As for warmth, that cannot be emphasized enough with kids. A cold kid is an unhappy kid and that makes for a bad experience. I've learned to keep hand warmers and toe warmers at all times. Those are the first things to get cold on kids and sticking toe warmers on the bottom of their feet, inside their boot makes a huge difference. Seat pads help with comfort on long sits and keep butts from getting cold, too.

As for calls, a good slate and/or a good box call and learning the basics of yelping and clucking, like Coues179 said, is best until you have more time to practice. Keep It Simple Stupid the first time out and, once you're hooked, then you get into the cutting, purring, and other great parts of what makes turkey hunting so fun. If you love chasing bulls in the rut, you'll definitely love turkey hunting! It may sound strange, but I'd give up everything to spend the rest of my life chasing turkeys!

Lots of birds get taken at that camp. I tried to talk my daughter into that camp instead of the Happy Jack camp for that very reason, but we're going to Happy Jack. I did encourage a friend to skip Happy Jack Camp and go to the 1/27 Camp because of the higher success rate and him wanting to get his kids on birds. You'll love it!

• Like 1

I agree with everything above and will add that a gobbler lounger or something similar really helps for sitting comfort. Also if the weather warms up the bugs can be a huge distraction and cause for unwanted movement so take a thermacell or bug spray.

Get ready for the addiction and good luck.

I agree with everything above and will add that a gobbler lounger or something similar really helps for sitting comfort. Also if the weather warms up the bugs can be a huge distraction and cause for unwanted movement so take a thermacell or bug spray.

Get ready for the addiction and good luck.

2nd on the Thermacell. LOVE mine!

I am taking my son on his 1st turkey hunt in 2 weeks. We will be attending the Jr Turkey Camp in unit 27/1. I have never gone so this is all new to me with the exception of watching videos. My camping/hunting boxes are filled with all kinds of deer/pig and elk gear, my questions is: What do I need to go out and purchase for this hunt? We have the normal camo clothes, do I need face paint or just the pullover see through face masks? I was told a seat cushion for the long periods of sitting. I am hoping we get a mentor for at least the 1st day for calling purposes, do I need a scratch box/turkey call/reed etc.....

Weather is always unpredictable, but what can I expect for these units in April. I was told it gets very windy up there.

If you guys have a turkey item check list that you use, I wouldn't mind plagiarizing it for future hunts. I am told once you go, you'll be addicted for life.

Thanks in advance

If you give me a call I would be happy to give you some pointers. I'm no expert, but I've had some decent luck with Turkey's in that area.

Adam

928-595-1554

Emphasize to your son that turkey hunting requires one to wake up early. Very early!! Of all the big game hunts I've been on, turkey is by far the earliest wake up for me. Depending on where your spot is relative to your camp, make sure to be there well before dawn. Our camp usually gets up at 3:15am and at our spot by 4:30.

3:15am wake ups start to wear me down after a couple days! :)

• Like 1

Turkey hunting can be a grind. Some very long day! I've had a lot of days up at 3 and not back until after 9pm.

• Like 4

I'll be at the turkey camp in a 1/27 again this year with my son. We went for the first time last year and had a great experience. It was a rough, cold, windy, and snowy weekend for us last year. I think the weather will be better this year. Hope to see you up there.

• Like 1

I believe they hold turkey hunting seminars at the Sportsman's in Tucson try to attend and learn to use a box or pot call. I already have young hunters I am mentoring or I would help, I have scouted 1/27 exstensively and can point you toward birds keep in touch and good luck.

• Like 1

Turkey hunting can be a grind. Some very long day! I've had a lot of days up at 3 and not back until after 9pm.

locate dark and early and locate in the evening. Not very much time for sleeping on a turkey hunt. I totally agree. Its fun stuff though. Good luck. :)

I always use soft Hen Yelps as a locator call. Wouldn't You rather here a mate calling You as opposed to a predator or enemy.............BOB!

I'll be at the turkey camp in a 1/27 again this year with my son. We went for the first time last year and had a great experience. It was a rough, cold, windy, and snowy weekend for us last year. I think the weather will be better this year. Hope to see you up there.

I'll be there mid day Thursday, I'll be in a white Tundra. My name is Greg, 13 yr old boy named Jake.