Sign in to follow this  
Deserttrecker

AZ Elk Winter Habits

I'm just looking for information on what people have seen Arizona elk do in the winter. Someone told me that the elk here don't really move around much in the winter. To a certain extent I can understand that the elk here wouldn't migrate to far away winter ranges as they do in states further North. But it seems to me when the snow comes they'd at least move to a lower elevation area where they have less snow to deal with and more available food. Just curious what people have seen with the elk here in winter and how far they travel.

I think it depends how far their summer and winter ranges are from each other. Some units it can be less than a mile or it could be 10 or more. My cousin is a guide and he found a bull last year that he found the year before 28 miles away! I think that was more about breeding than any thing else that caused that bull to travel that kind of distance.

• Like 1

What if it hits hard and they move to the flats then melts off and never returns? Do they stay in flats or move back up? 50/50?

Elk go where the feed is. Cold doesn't seem to be much of a bother. Just feed. There is no set schedule. Elk herds move, always, a lot, continually, etc. saw some at over 9000 ft Tuesday. Bulls, especially big old ones, are on their own agenda and don't do much that allows ya to figger em out. Just hafta put in the time and effort and find em. And don't tell anybuddy where they are. Lark

I hear ya there. Elk are elk and go where they please! I've found sheds in pines and in praire meadows, just gotta hike,hike,hike!

"where can i find sheds this weekend" is what OP meant to ask

Not one bit, I was actually considering one of the leftover late archery bull tags in case I don't get drawn. My just wondering if the habits of elk in AZ differ from the northern states. Oh and I work weekends so I won't be out picking up the sheds you missed til Tuesday

• Like 2