Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

New hunting Truck

Jesus. Bulletproofing, extended warranties, deletes, replacements. Ever think about buying another brand? Or better yet a gas?

Friends don't let friends drive gassers.

;)

• Like 1

Jesus. Bulletproofing, extended warranties, deletes, replacements. Ever think about buying another brand? Or better yet a gas?

Friends don't let friends drive gassers.

;)

Yeah I just can't stand them, cheaper, more reliable, you don't smell like a diesel refinery when you get done filling up, cheaper to work on, quieter, cheaper to fill up, cheaper oil changes, cheaper maintence, no injectors to CONSTANTLY replace. I just dont get why anyone would want to own a gas pickup! (Notice I said pickup because it has 2 axels and not 3 or 4 which is what a truck is ;)

I grew up on a farm/ranch and have been around diesels my whole life and they have their place, but that place isn't in a hunting pickup in my opinion. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but in my opinion you are spending a minimum of $5k a year extra by owning a diesel when you factor in initial purchase price, maintenance and added cost of repairs. If you can afford that so that it sounds cool when you rattle along the trails then knock yourself out. I'd rather spend that money on draws, landowner tags and time off.

Oh I forgot to add DEF. What the heck kind of racket is that joke?!?

Agreed, no need for a diesel unless your towing heavy trailers constantly.

I got rid of my diesels when I got out of hauling hotshot loads, the only big thing I tow around anymore is my 27' Baja speedboat.

That thing weighs 4400 empty my trailer 1000 for a total of 5400, again that's empty but with 100 gallons of fuel in it it weighs a little more, my 2010 Ford Expedition tows it like its not even back there.

Oh man. The 6.0. I've got a 2005 Excursion that we bought around 65K miles. Great truck, took us on so many family outings pulling a very heavy 32' trailer with big slide outs. Little things started going wrong - FICM, HPOP, turbo underboost causing the check engine light to come on under a load, bad cold starts, sluggish warming up.

I could list several $1200 plus trips to the mechanic, and it's now at BulletProof in Mesa looking at another $11K. The list of things that go wrong with this engine are endless. First thing I'd do is take it to BulletProof, ask for Andrew and get a no BS assessment of it.

On a 6.0 the EGR cooler will fail. It isn't an "if" it's when. And the oil cooler is basically a box with radiator wings that cools the oil while also cooling coolant. It clogs and fails, and coolant mixes with oil. The injectors are another trouble spot. If they aren't torqued to spec, even over spec, you get a loose injector that allows unspent fuel to pass through it into the cylinder causing bent valves or even a burned piston.

Bottom line, if it's running great you are in good shape in the short run. But take pre-emptive measures to protect it, because when it fails, it fails BIG TIME. Like a few thousand bucks easy, up into the teens. That's where we are.

Is the truck even worth the $11,000 you're about to dump into it?

If the alternative is dumping it in a scrap yard, yes. I don't have the luxury of buying one new for $65K or used for around $40k. We have a trailer to haul around, and that's our family vacation - Moab, Zion, Escalante, Powell - that's how our family reconnects after months of everyone doing their own thing and drifting apart. Hiking slot canyons, rappelling red rocks, hanging on the beach by Lone Rock, paddle boarding, kayaking - not to mention getting the whole family together for javelina or turkey or whatever hunt gets us all together.

Having a working truck that pulls our camper to whatever destination to get away from work, school, sports and all the daily stresses that pull us apart so we can spend days or weeks on end reconnecting as a family is priceless.

• Like 3

DEF is a joke. I put it in My Semi every day . What a waste of time and $. Had to be a liberal thing cause it doesn't help Squat.............BOB!

Back when I bought my truck diesel cost less than unleaded and I was getting 17mpg compared to 11mpg in my Suburban which dropped to 6mpg when I towed.

I don't road hunt so the clatter on the drive in isn't an issue as quads are usually louder than the old girl. If I were to get a new truck it would probably be a Tundra or a Raptor. My truck doesn't has a cat and is pre def.

• Like 1

If you have ever driven a 6.0 with a tuner and straight pipe that is running like it should you would be hooked for life.

• Like 1

If you have ever driven a 6.0 with a tuner and straight pipe that is running like it should you would be hooked for life.

I think that really says it all..

• Like 1