Sign in to follow this  
AZhuntingfamily

Possible Elk Pictographs

The way I understand it babe haughty was his guide for much more then a yr. When I was going up before the cabin burned there was a man called Mel Counsler I believe and he had lots o history. I will see if family has any official documentation but I won't call them liars they'll string me up.

Wildwooly:

Please don't call anyone a liar. Verbal reports passed across generations frequently become embellished and events that did not actually happen can become "fact." According to Zane Grey himself, he hunted with the Haughts for the first time in 1918 and again in the 1919. He also may have hunted with them after 1922 (when he wrote his book that told about hunting with them), but didn't write about his later hunts. At any rate, an elk he might have killed with them more likely than not would have been of the Rocky Mountain subspecies. The last (allegedly) known Merriam's elk in Arizona was gone at least twenty years before Zane Grey hunted with the Haughts.

Bill Quimby

back to the picto's

I doubt that the guys scratching these really paid any attention to details as to how many points or forks on the antlers . they were just relating in there own way - that the animals had huge antllers

something to think about concerning Merriam's - their antlers were palmated and that is why they were designated a sub-species, I have seen several pics in the last 20 years of elk killed in Az with some palmation on their antlers, and all of the elk now in the state are from the Rocky Mtn elk captured in Jellystone and transplanted so they shouldn't have any Merriam's genes. Just my country-boy logic, along with a little beer and whiskey around a campfire, good chance it is some mineral in Az that results in the palmation characteristic, wasn't a sub-species after all just good groceries that caused it. I grew up in Wy and the bulls there don't get near the racks that the bulls here get, I attribute it to having to fight the hard winters and the elk here get better graze sooner and later than the hard winter elk.