Sign in to follow this  
125coues

Just Wondering

I now own both a Canyon 50 cooler and a Yeti Tundra 50 cooler .

Oh thanks to my wife for winning both of these.

I was wondering if you guys and gals would like me to do a comparison of these two cooles and if you would I would also like to here just what kind of a comparision you would like to see.

So let see what you all can come up with and remember I live in Williams,AZ so if it is a ice melt one it will not be as bad as if I lived in Phx.

Mark

Maybe stick a similar size bag or block of ice in each, keep them in the same place at the same temperature, and do a day by day comparison of how the ice is holding up?

AES uses Canyon coolers. Great coolers and it's a hot item after that article/review.

Support local, Canyon Coolers.

Thanks Steve I did not know of this but should have figured someone has done one of these comparison very good reading.

But I have done some of my own and this is what I see so far by just looking at both on my living room floor.

1-I like to be able to replace parts that over the years seem to wear out or break from use and the Canyon lid latches seem pretty easy to replace as the Yeti seems unable to do this at all.

2-I also like the fact that the drain plug stays attached to the Canyon Cooler as it is not on the Yeti ,I tend to get in a hurry and forget to replace the plugs then I leave it somewhere and now I have no plug.

3-I weighed both units without anything in them and the Yeti is 63/4 pounds heavier than the Canyon,the Canyon is a little shorter than the Yeti in height ,this is something I look at when packing up stuff for the camping or hunting trip .

4-The lid latching system on the Canyon is much easier for my wife to use than the Yeti as while looking over both coolers she hurt her hand while trying to close to the lid on the Yeti.Something else to think about if you havesmall kids and they are opening and are unable to close the lid on the Yeti ,for me I was able to us either latching system.

5-Both have rope type carrying handles and the Yeti has a larger grip handle than the Canyon and the one on the Yeti. Yeti's handle rotates and the Canyon's does not and the Yeti's is a softer rubber and seems to make for a better handle with less possibility of slipping out of your hands.

I will be posting up more about this soon.

Mark

• Like 2

Thanks for the info 125coues. I always like reading non-biased reviews of gear. It seems like 90% of reviews these days have some hidden agenda in the background. Keep the comparison's coming, I am always looking to buy something new.

Thanks Steve I did not know of this but should have figured someone has done one of these comparison very good reading.

But I have done some of my own and this is what I see so far by just looking at both on my living room floor.

1-I like to be able to replace parts that over the years seem to wear out or break from use and the Canyon lid latches seem pretty easy to replace as the Yeti seems unable to do this at all.

2-I also like the fact that the drain plug stays attached to the Canyon Cooler as it is not on the Yeti ,I tend to get in a hurry and forget to replace the plugs then I leave it somewhere and now I have no plug.

3-I weighed both units without anything in them and the Yeti is 63/4 pounds heavier than the Canyon,the Canyon is a little shorter than the Yeti in height ,this is something I look at when packing up stuff for the camping or hunting trip .

4-The lid latching system on the Canyon is much easier for my wife to use than the Yeti as while looking over both coolers she hurt her hand while trying to close to the lid on the Yeti.Something else to think about if you havesmall kids and they are opening and are unable to close the lid on the Yeti ,for me I was able to us either latching system.

5-Both have rope type carrying handles and the Yeti has a larger grip handle than the Canyon and the one on the Yeti. Yeti's handle rotates and the Canyon's does not and the Yeti's is a softer rubber and seems to make for a better handle with less possibility of slipping out of your hands.

I will be posting up more about this soon.

Mark

Based on 1-4, I think you should just bring that Yeti on over! :D

Congrats to you guys again on everything last night!

• Like 2

125 definitely hit on something I didn't like about the Yeti. I borrowed one from a family member and one of the rubber latches broke. Obviously I couldn't return it like that so I bought a pair of replacements, but the process was tricky. There is a thin aluminum rod that runs the entire length of the cooler lid that you have to push all the way out to replace the latches, and it is not easy to push that thing out and back in without bending it.

• Like 1