Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Chorizo!

here you go, use 2/3 game to 1/3 pork, I use a fatty pork butt, handcrank grinder will work if you don't have an electric one

Chorizo - this is what I turn my javelina into, have used deer & elk too. I have also made this using a 50/50 mix of game and 70/30 hamburger, gives it a different flavor. Different vinegars add different flavors also. I have used white & red rice wine & red raspberry vinegars and been pleased with the results.

1 1/2 lbs pork butt

1/2 lb pork fat

1 bunch (4 to 6 oz) fresh cilantro, chopped, about 1 cup – I have used 2 - 3 tblspn dried also

1 fresh serrano or jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped

1/4 cup red wine vinegar - I have used red wine, rice wine & red raspberry vinegars, each adds it’s own distinctive flavor.

1 tblspn New Mexico or other dried chile powder

1 tblspn sweet Hungarian paprika

2 tspns kosher salt

1 1/2 tspn whole cumin seeds

1 tspn ground cumin

1/2 tspn coarsely ground black pepper

1/2 tspn ground cayenne pepper

1/4 tspn ground coriander

grind meat/fat together, mix in spices/water and knead together, then grind again. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything. If you want to add more bite leave the seeds in the peppers. I keep a bag of all these spices mixed, minus fresh peppers & cilantro, that I use for all my Mexican food. Throw in a couple spoonfuls with a lb of burger and you have taco meat, thin slice a roast or chicken breasts and you have fajita's. I use dried jalapeno's & dried cilantro in my spice baggie.

• Like 2

Coues deer chorizo, eggs, tortillas, salsa, Mexican Oaxaca cheese and a sunrise campfire in the desert.

post-331-0-69009500-1456076807_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

here you go, use 2/3 game to 1/3 pork, I use a fatty pork butt, handcrank grinder will work if you don't have an electric one

Chorizo - this is what I turn my javelina into, have used deer & elk too. I have also made this using a 50/50 mix of game and 70/30 hamburger, gives it a different flavor. Different vinegars add different flavors also. I have used white & red rice wine & red raspberry vinegars and been pleased with the results.

1 1/2 lbs pork butt

1/2 lb pork fat

1 bunch (4 to 6 oz) fresh cilantro, chopped, about 1 cup – I have used 2 - 3 tblspn dried also

1 fresh serrano or jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped

1/4 cup red wine vinegar - I have used red wine, rice wine & red raspberry vinegars, each adds it’s own distinctive flavor.

1 tblspn New Mexico or other dried chile powder

1 tblspn sweet Hungarian paprika

2 tspns kosher salt

1 1/2 tspn whole cumin seeds

1 tspn ground cumin

1/2 tspn coarsely ground black pepper

1/2 tspn ground cayenne pepper

1/4 tspn ground coriander

grind meat/fat together, mix in spices/water and knead together, then grind again. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything. If you want to add more bite leave the seeds in the peppers. I keep a bag of all these spices mixed, minus fresh peppers & cilantro, that I use for all my Mexican food. Throw in a couple spoonfuls with a lb of burger and you have taco meat, thin slice a roast or chicken breasts and you have fajita's. I use dried jalapeno's & dried cilantro in my spice baggie.

I am giving this a shot right now and it doesn't seem like nearly enough spices for 6lb of meat. Maybe it's me am I reading this right?

I use the Tampico chorizo mix and add extra chiles, garlic and oregano and sea salt. Some Tecate and apple cider vinegar.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great recipe! Trying to smack one of the porkers running around here in Kentucky and I'll give it a try!

• Like 1