Sign in to follow this  
'Ike'

Dates, Moon Phase and Archery

Just curious if any of the two conditions above, come into play on whether you apply a certain year or not?

post-8681-0-33238500-1454817651_thumb.jpeg

It goes through my mind when I apply but I put in for archery every year no matter what the dates are. Although I prefer the start dates to be around the 14th or 15th of September.

Left my response on your other post lol. Yes they are factors to consider but no they don't keep me from applying for a hunt. Pluses and minuses to both.

• Like 1

Does it matter? Are you not gonna apply because the moon is wrong? I think you're over thinkin' things. It's a 14 day hunt. The moon is gonna change. And no matter what the moon does, the elk are still there. Lark

• Like 2

This year because of the very early archery dates I applied for muzzleloader first choice and a more premium archery tag than I typically would second choice. My reasoning was that with my number of BP I was 100% on 3/4 of the archery hunts. I did not want to burn a decade worth of points for a middle of the road hunt that also started crazy early and risk a poor rut. Now just my luck, next year it will be a drought year.

• Like 1

My comment on the "moon phase" is this...

I have been setting trail cams for nearly 10 years. I love seeing what's in an area. For the first few year I really tracked and recorded every bull/ buck etc. I would list moon phase, date and time stamp and would put everything on a spread sheet to see trends and patterns. I did this on multiple cameras in multiple areas of the state.

My conclusion- it made NO difference. If there was no predator scent in the area they would be out full moon or no moon. They would hang around or play as long as they wanted. None of my cams were bedding areas either. I am sure it plays a role and I am sure someone has a different experience than myself but for me I really don't follow the moon phase anymore.

• Like 3

I look at all of these things but so far it hasn't changed what I put in for. Although, it almost did this year since the season starts on the 9th. But it will determine when I hunt if I get drawn. If I get a tag this year, I don't plan on taking the whole season off like I normally do. I plan on just hunting the 2nd week. The rut was always better the 2nd week anyway but with these early dates it has really placed a premium on the 2nd week. I have a buddy from back east that has been building bonus points and these factors will definitely play into when I tell him to finally apply for a hunt.

I was pretty excited for this season because I thought the season would start on the 16th. I was pretty disappointed when I saw it started on the 9th. I don't go to the G&F meetings or anything like that and I hadn't heard anything about the dates changing. I did some research because I thought the dates were earlier than they used to be. What I found is that the archery does seem to be starting a little earlier. I'm sure some of you guys already know this. I found an article from the Game and Fish from 2008 that talked about them changing some elk and deer dates to try to lower hunter success so they could give out more tags. Depending on which side of the argument you are on, they did this to allow more people to hunt or to bring in more money. Before then, I found hunts that started on the 16th, 17th, etc. But the hunt hasn't started that late since. I guess next year will be the true test to my theory if the season starts on the 8th. If any of you actually went to a meeting or knows if this is what happened, I would be interested to hear it. Good luck guys, the dreaded wait is about to begin.

Archery elk hunts start on the 37th Friday of the year. Next year ago it will move back 6 days.

When they discussed changing dates in 2008 is when they decided to add the November archery tags.

• Like 3

Archery elk hunts start on the 37th Friday of the year. Next year ago it will move back 6 days.

When they discussed changing dates in 2008 is when they decided to add the November archery tags.

Interesting. Thanks. I figured you would know.

Hmmm, after I saw this I went and checked what you said. From 2004 - 2016. It does land on the 37th Friday most of the time, but not all the time. Must be some other calculation they use. Unless my counting skills are off....

2004 the season started on the 17th but the 37th Friday was the 10th.

2006 the season started on the 22nd !!! but the 37th Friday was the 15th.

Now we get into the post 2008 seasons I was talking about....

2011 season started on the 9th but the 37th Friday was the 16th.

It would be nice to know exactly how the season is determined. I think I will call them tomorrow.

Does it matter? Are you not gonna apply because the moon is wrong? I think you're over thinkin' things. It's a 14 day hunt. The moon is gonna change. And no matter what the moon does, the elk are still there. Lark

Not me, I'm in no matter what...Killed my Utah Bull on the moon posted in the picture...Also dates, Utah by far had/has the worst dates for Archery!

I asked, as I know people that go by those two indicators as whether or not they'll apply...

My comment on the "moon phase" is this...

I have been setting trail cams for nearly 10 years. I love seeing what's in an area. For the first few year I really tracked and recorded every bull/ buck etc. I would list moon phase, date and time stamp and would put everything on a spread sheet to see trends and patterns. I did this on multiple cameras in multiple areas of the state.

My conclusion- it made NO difference. If there was no predator scent in the area they would be out full moon or no moon. They would hang around or play as long as they wanted. None of my cams were bedding areas either. I am sure it plays a role and I am sure someone has a different experience than myself but for me I really don't follow the moon phase anymore.

Lol, I thought I was the only one to build graphs and spreadsheets on elk data! It's an illness.

• Like 3