Sign in to follow this  
mmlj

OUR DECEMBER HUNT--A TRIBUTE

As a long time eastern whitetail hunter, after retiring to Arizona, I discovered I had a lot to learn about hunting coues deer. Thankfully, my learning curve was greatly enhanced and accelerated by my friend and mentor, Ed Brown. As a native Arizonan, Ed has hunted coues deer for many years. His expertise and knowledge of the "grey ghosts" continually amazes me. Ed has shown a great deal of patience over the years as I transitioned to a coues fanatic. This narrative is a tribute to Ed and the cherished days we've spent together hunting javelina and deer.
It was December 4th and we were set up at daybreak glassing some distant ridges. My excitement and anticipation were high. After glassing for about 30 minutes, Ed spotted a buck but he disappeared over the next ridge line. Later, we decided to hike into another spot and set up the binoculars. I had transitioned to a pair of 15X binoculars that later proved their value to me. We spotted some does and fawns and watched them for a while. As usual, Ed later spotted a distant buck. At a lasered 400 yards, we watched him for about 20 minutes and realized the terrain was too open for us to close the distance. Ed told me to take the buck after I asked if he wanted the shot. I dialed up the elevation turret on my Leupold 4.5x14x scope for the 400 yard shot. I sent a 95 gr. Berger VLD Hunting bullet at 3439 fps from my 240 Weatherby rifle. Ed yelled, "You got him." The report of the rifle and the hit on the deer were heard almost simultaneously. I was elated and I know Ed was equally thrilled to be able to help me take this fine buck.
As I approach the twilight of my hunting years, I've come to appreciate the anticipation, preparation and the process of the hunt, especially when spent afield with a great friend and hunting buddy. I'm dedicating next year to helping Ed get a big buck. Hopefully, there will be another hunting experience to write about in 2016.

post-8919-0-79987300-1454352230.jpg

• Like 12

Congrats on your buck any pictures, those things can be addictive for sure good luck next year

Thanks for all of the kind thoughts and words. Already looking forward to the fall hunts!

Sweet buck, great write up and tribute to your friend.

Is it the picture or is the nose on your buck messed up?

Those little gray ghosts are tough! There tougher to kill.

I've looked at a couple of other pictures and I don't see the same thing. His nose is short, but I don't think I looked at anything but his horns the entire drag back to the truck.

Nice job. It took me 3 or 4 years on my own to figure out how to hunt these guys.................BOB!

Congratulations on your buck and your appreciation towards your friend. Nothing like a good partner for sure. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ