Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Javelina OTC

Why doesn't the game and fish do over the counter for Javelina? I'm not that interested in hunting them but see constantly all the leftover tags. Especially in some units. Anyone ever ask? Just curious.

• Like 1

They have OTC for metro areas and all left over tags are OTC after mail in draw. Since they have started allowing 2 javis per year the last four years they have a lot less tags that don't get sold. Going to full OTC would mean they would lose control over how many hunters per area and I doubt they want to do that.

Also they would lose the $13 app fee, as they do not charge that for OTC that never is in the draw. Metro pig is $25 with no app fee. Highly doubt they want to give up the coin.....

On draw tag leftovers, you still get charged an app fee even after they go available OTC. If the tag is OTC up front, then no application fee is required. That is my understanding. Metro javelina tags are $25.

So I have considered doing a HAM with a Glock and giving the meat to a buddy but wasn't so ambitious to apply for draw was why I asked. I didn't know they were invasive. I read somewhere they originated in South America and just have continously moved north. So I guess that could be true.