Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

What's the deal with RUM brass

It's harder to find than a Cardinals Super Bowl Trophy. Did Remington stop making it or are they just using themselves for their factory ammo?

Seems a lot of magnum brass is nearly impossible to find. I've been looking for Remington or Winchester .270 WSM & .300 WSM. All I can find is Nosler and Norma for over $2.00 each - ouch.

I was thinking of building a 300 RUM cause I want an elk hammer but not anymore. Last thing I want is a bunch of money tied up in a rifle I can't shoot. Back to the drawing board.

Might go light weight backpack rifle for Coues and Colorado mule deer.

6.5-06? 7mm SAUM?

Just finished my first build - 6.5x284 Norma. A little work left to do but it shoots fantastic. Perfect for deer/antelope but maybe a little too light for elk, IMO.

I was thinking of building a 300 RUM cause I want an elk hammer but not anymore. Last thing I want is a bunch of money tied up in a rifle I can't shoot. Back to the drawing board.

Might go light weight backpack rifle for Coues and Colorado mule deer.

6.5-06? 7mm SAUM?

6.5 SAUM !!! I've got several hundred pieces of brass with factory headstamps from GAP. They will be doing another run in the future. The performance and barrel life from a short action is hard to beat and it eats the same powder as my other rigs. (H-1000)

338 lapua brass is still easy to get. If you're stuck on a 30 cal cannon why not a 300 lapua?

.300 RUM brass is available. You just have to look for it. Normally brass costs more, but it crazy high quality. I doubt you would ever need to replace after your initial purchase. If you are going to build a custom rifle, why are you worried about spending $2/each for brass that will last a lifetime?

As for a 7wsm, 7rsaum, 6.5rsaum, that is like comparing apples to grapes with a .300RUM. Great cartridges, but no where close to a .300RUM. 210 Grain bullet at 3100+ capability? Not even close with the others.

• Like 5

Agreed. That's why I was not comparing a 6.5/7mm with the RUM. If I can't get components for the RUM which would probably only be used for elk, I would consider changing my focus to a backpacking type Coues / Mule deer / bear lighter weight rifle.

How many firings can I expect to get from RUM brass?

• Like 1

I'm building a couple of 300rums I was lucky to get a box of 100 Norma cases, you do pay for it but like lance said it'll last. And the RUM isn't a target shooter either, it's a long range hammer.

• Like 1

Agreed. That's why I was not comparing a 6.5/7mm with the RUM. If I can't get components for the RUM which would probably only be used for elk, I would consider changing my focus to a backpacking type Coues / Mule deer / bear lighter weight rifle.

How many firings can I expect to get from RUM brass?

I'm on my 5th time through with some of my Remington brass. Like Lance said, Norma will last a lot longer than that. Expensive, but long picture, probably worth it. I definitely wouldn't shy away from the 300 RUM because of the extra cost of Norma brass.

That said, I have a heavy Sendero 300 RUM that is my go to if I'm not hiking in a long distance and a Tikka t3 lite 7mm mag for the pack in hunts. Both great guns shooting about 1/2 MOA. Just depends on how I am hunting.