I will be shooting a .300 win. mag and I am going to be out at the range hopoefully every other weekend until the hunt starting next weekend. I am going to be ordering some ammo for it soon and was wondering what the best ammo is for it that is under $30 a box.

Edited by younghunter

Hornady offers a 150 grain SST Interbond load (also 150 SST) that is flat shooting. Federal has a 165 gr Noler Ballistic Tp and 180 Accubond loads that would be worth trying. Winchester offers 180 gr Ballistic Silvevertips and 180 Accubonds. I'm suggesting the polymer tipped bullets for their higher ballistic coefficients for use at the longer ranges coues hunting sometime necessitates. The 150's offer less drop, but the 180's will drift less in the wind at longer distances. Stop by Sportsman's Warehouse(or your local gun shop) and pick up a box of each to see which flavor your rifle prefers. Yes, it's easy to spend over a c-note just to find the preferred brand. If your rifle scatters a couple of 5-shot groups, use the extras for practice.

Younghunter,

I shoot 150 Grain Rem.core-lok out of my 300 Win. Mag, and they shoot Great. You could pick a box up for around $17.00 at wal- mart. I spent the time on the range with several different types of ammo and found that my rifle shot tighter groups with the core-loks then Federals, that were costing around $40.00 a box. SHOOT STRAIGHT AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT :D

That is what I shoot right now, but I would like something that will hold up a little better since the y are soft points.

Younghnter

Ditto on the Rem Core Lokt. 180's. I get decent groups at 200 and that is an easy round to get at most any walmart or sporting goods store. I have used others, and one from winchester sticks in my mind. 165 grain fail safe. Super good but tougher to find locally so I opted for the Remingtons.

Good Luck!

Young hunter,

Softpoint would do better on coues sized game than a more stout bullet that are maybe made for heavy game like elk. Don't get me wrong, you hit any deer in the right place he will die.

That said, a Hornady SST, Nosler BT, Remington Accutip or "plastic tip" are I my opinion just about perfect for deer and coues especially. I will go out on a limb to also say that this style of bullet is "generally" more accurate, at least in my case. I would have no problem hunting with a Cor-lokt, or Win Super X or regular non-premium bullet if it gave me better accuracy. Like they said above try different brands and weights of bullets to find the most accurate. Don't feel that you need to spend lots of money on bullets. They will NOT make you shoot better only practice will.

Good luck!

:D

I am thinking very serious about this and so far I am getting some 165 fail safe, the 150 and 180 rem. core-lokt and hornady sst in 150 just so i can find out what shoots best. Thanks for all the input guys.

Hey younghunter I would not try the failsafes for coues, just because they are a delayed controlled expantion bullet, and will propably not open up on a coues deer. I have seen them pin hole elk before. Im not saying that they are a bad bullet, I just wouldnt shoot them on coues. All of the other bullets that were mentioned should do the job. I shoot the interbonds out of my 300 wsm and love them, and I shoot corelokts out of one of my 7mm's and my 270 and love them too.

i have a couple .300's. shoot a handload with 165 gr. hornady boattails. works great on anything in the west. my youngest son shot a coues with the one we call "FARKILLER" last year. pretty much ruined the whole deer. one shot, right where you wanna hit em, too. way too much gun for coues, i think. i mean if that's all ya got, fine, but i'd recomend a lot less gun for these dinky things. i'd use the lightest, toughest to expand bullet i could find tho. something that won't blow the heck out of em. they're pretty good to eat. Lark.

I shoot a Ruger .300 WIN MAG and am thoroughly convinced it is the best all-around round for me. I've shot my last 2 coues with it using Federal Classic 150 gr softpoints, I haven't had a problem with it blow'n them apart but I didn't have to chase em anywhere neither. I did learn not to use balaistic tips on antelope...cost me an x-tra $100 at the taxidermist, probably won't have to worry about shoot'n another prairie goat in Arizona anyway. I have been trying for awhile to duplicate the accuracy I get from the Federal Classic rounds and can't do it.

I have a buddy who shoots a 7mm mag and he uses the ballistic tip Federal Premium round. Pretty accurate but that ballistic tip is a little less efficient than a meatgrinder! Terrible damage on the meat and hide. I don't shoot them due to the disaster he finds whenever he goes to retrieve his game.

Well I got out shooting and I have decided to shoot the Remington 150 grain core likt soft points. I was able to shoot at 300 yards with a 3 inch pattern with 10 shots so hopefully I can get a shot like that this year.

Younghunter,

Those 150 coreloks shooting that well @ 300 yards will work well on coues. And the good part is that a box is relatively inexpensive. Have fun practicing those long shots from field positions.

Doug/RedRabbit