Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

2016 Elk Draw

So-

Never been on an Elk hunt, not for lack of trying.

The boys want to do Juniors Elk, and if they get picked, I can live through them =)

Just curious, and some of you here know a lot better than I do- What's the best chances for a Jr Elk Draw?

What are some of the better draws?

Thanks- I know I'm not the only one wondering..

FYI, some if not most of the junior elk draws are harder to draw than the regular draws. How many points do they have?

• Like 3

I might even go that route. What are the better cow hunts?

10? I'm in it for the meat..

I have 3 points, the boys each have 2.

I might even go that route. What are the better cow hunts?

10? I'm in it for the meat..

I have 3 points, the boys each have 2.

pick units you know and check the regs on draw odds when they come out.... 100,000 people will be doing the same some for meat some for rut some for bow some for rifle some for horns... LOL!

stay tuned for a thread on draw odds. you may be able to search the old threads on this subject to get an idea on what your odds will be.

James

• Like 1

Sir...The Az Deer Association will be holding it's Jr's deer and elk camp in unit 23 this yr. We put on a great camp and will have personal on site to help in just about everything you could need or want. If your kids are lucky they can hunt deer and elk at the same time.....Look for more info when the reg's come out. Thanks Dave

If you need more info on the camp now. Please contact me at 602-228-1719

• Like 3

With 3 pts you have a good chance at drawing a couple different Cow hunts. Since you haven't hunted Elk before I would highly recommend taking your kids to one of the Junior camps so you and your kids can learn how to hunt Elk. I also highly recommend helping as many people as possible on Elk hunts so you can start learning how to hunt them. Just because you don't have a tag doesn't mean you can't go Elk hunting!

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Exactly what bigbrowns said, this year all the elk hunts are done but next year if they don't draw try and tag along with someone. Careful, elk hunting gets in your veins and never comes out.

I put my niece in for bull (she didn't want to kill a cow) from 12-18 and she never drew. Now, in college, she has lost any desire to hunt. What a shame....

If I were in your shoes, I'd put them in for NM and WY as well as Az to better their chances. Good luck

They just put the regs online

Yup. Regs are out. I'll do some number crunching and see what the best odds are.

I'd go 23 for the youth hunt- if they get picked, just for the youth camp as mentioned above. (Thanks for that) I think there's only like 65 tags, so it would be a long shot. Maybe 4A youth- we know the area well. Maybe 22. I've even scared up elk at Edwards Park. Too bad it was a mulie hunt.

Maybe I should buy a muzzie =) Maybe a general hunt. Planning out this stuff is half the fun.

Was an elk tag 148$ last year.

Yup