Sign in to follow this  
Coues79

25 WSSM

cochranj,

I talked to a friend of mine who is a gun nut and purchased a 25 WSSM when it first came out. He LOVES it! In his opinion it could be the perfect Coues rifle. He strictly reloads so he didn't know or care about availability of factory ammo. His Browning is a tack-driver with handloads and it's a 6 1/2 pound short rifle that anyone can carry and shoot. He also warned that 257 Weatherby uses (wastes) tons of powder if you reload and the muzzle-blast will make a flincher of many shooters. This is not a problem with the 25 WSSM.

Just two more cents.

Lee

I've already heard a lot of good info. Thanks a bunch guys.

I have also considered the 25-06 and I will probably start thinking about this round a little harder. My eldest brother shoots this round for his coues deer and from what I know, he loves the gun. Superb accuracy and high velocities. I do not reload and with a baby coming and a full teaching schedule ahead of me, I cannot and would not be able to find the time to get into it. So, those 40 dollar boxes of ammo would add up quickly with that .257 weatherby. It does sound like a great round however. It will be about a month before I make the purchase so I still have a little bit of time to ponder.

If anyone still has any more opinions, knowledge or advice, please keep it comin'.

Have you checked prices of ammo lately? Almost EVERTHING is $30-40 a box now, except for your Core-Locks, Powerpoints, and such. Anything with a Hornady, Barnes, or Nosler bullet is over $30/box. THAT SUCKS! I'm thinking those Weatherby rounds are closer to $50 a box, but not sure.

If were getting a rifle, just for deer. It might be a 7 mag, 270 win, or 270 WSM, shooting 140 grain accubonds.

I am partial to the 300WSM, the ballistics are unbelievable, recoil isnt too bad even without a muzzle brake (my 13 year old shoots mine), my only gripe is ammo price. I shoot the 165gr Barnes (which are hard to find) and they are almost $50 a box BUT, i used one shot last year at 361 yards and the animal didnt take another step. I for one am sold on this caliber...

you cant go wrong with a 30-06 it has worked for about a hundred years now. I have tried the short mags and super short mags and love them but i always hunt with my pre 64 model 70

I would have to disagree with the statement about the 257 wasting powder and having a loud muzzle blast, I reload and the loads are nothing spectactular as far as the amount of powder used, its a magnum caliber for crying out load, as far as the muzzle blast and kick, way less than a 270. AG

Jeff,

Too bad you have not gotten into reloading. I still think my seven mag is awesome! I load up 120 grain nosler ballistic tips in my Ruger #1. That falling block is indestructable and it shoots 120's at speeds the short mags can only dream about. I would never shoot an elk with this load but it's great on coues. The damage is severe, the blood trail is in inches. The only bullet I have recovered was actually a really good mushroom, (the rest have passed through ) I dropped it in some hay before I got a chance to weigh it but I estimated 75% retention. The coyotes I have shot have piled on impact and it didn't blow them up either. Really great flat shooting load.

I just bought an NEF singleshot for my daughter who is about 95# in 7MM-08. Shoots the same bullets as my seven mag and we have been burning up the 120 grain NBT's in it also. She's shooting a minimum load with no complaints. She's going to use it this fall for cow elk but will be shooting 140 grain partitions. Just something to think about, versatile caliber, available in youth model ( upcoming hunter ) capped it off with a Leupold Rifleman in 2x7x32, Leupold high rings, total investment $430.00. Not the ultimate tack driver but the first load I have tried breaks Ultra Amber bottles as fast as I can drink them at 100 yards, and at seven power the scope is much better than anything we had as kids. 300 yard shots are very doable.

If not get a 25-06. Cartridges are readily available, great caliber.