Sign in to follow this  
Coues79

25 WSSM

I plan on purchasing a new deer rifle this year and I was wondering about the 25 WSSM. I plan on having this rifle solely for coues and putting the 7Mag up and using it for my elk hunts. I am wondering if anyone has any input or feedback on this caliber or the 243 short mag or anything in close comparison caliber wise. Which one is a better round, is there much difference, what would you do and why? I'm not a gun expert by any means necessary, but I know many of you have great knowledge so I value your opinions.

I have recently bought a 257 weatherby and found that it shoots great, though i haven't hunted with it yet. Ammo is a little on the pricey side, so keep that in mind. Just a little info, hope it helps. Congrats on the new huntin partner.

Mike

If you want a .25 mag get a 257 weatherby, you can pick up a vanguard relatively cheap and if you reload the ammo is not bad, does not really kick much and is super accurate. I think the 25 wssm is struggling with popularity a little and so it may become hard to get factory ammo for it eventually. I switched to a .257 last year and it instantly became my favorite shooting rifle hands down. I do reload however and shells are about 40 a box or more if you dont reload. Just my .02 worth. Good luck AG

If you want a .25 mag get a 257 weatherby, you can pick up a vanguard relatively cheap and if you reload the ammo is not bad, does not really kick much and is super accurate. I think the 25 wssm is struggling with popularity a little and so it may become hard to get factory ammo for it eventually. I switched to a .257 last year and it instantly became my favorite shooting rifle hands down. I do reload however and shells are about 40 a box or more if you dont reload. Just my .02 worth. Good luck AG

What bullet are you loading up and would you consider loading for others?

Mike

I would pass on the Super Short mags. however, i think that the 300wsm and the 270wsm are both here to stay. I shoot a 270wsm and love it!

I reload 100 gr ballistic tips but have been considering switching to nosler accubonds. However, the ballistic tips are performing so well that I may just keep shooting them, 3 animals last year one at 477, one at 400 and one at 250 and none of them took a step after being hit. I would consider reloading for someone else, but this year my 2 oldest kids are hunting with me and I will be reloading for them as well. If you have any more questions pm me. AG

If your not going to reload i doubt there are too many offering for wssm ammo. If you are going to reload, the wssms are kinda of a pain. The cases are really thick, and if you dont "compress them", the bolt sticks. You have to adjust your sizing die to shorten the brass more so than the press should allow, kinda of weird but its true. I dont have a load book handy but i don't think there is any advantage over a 25-06 in velocity. They are pretty neat because of the really short action, i have a wssm in a 223.

Jeff,

I would choose the 25-06 over the 25WSSM due to the better factory ammo selection of the 25-06 and near equal velocities. With the 257WBY, you are limited to the pricey Weatherby ammo, but this is a great coues chambering that has a case capacity similar to your 7RM.

If you handload, you might consider the 257WBY or the 264Win Mag.

Doug~RR

I've already heard a lot of good info. Thanks a bunch guys.

I have also considered the 25-06 and I will probably start thinking about this round a little harder. My eldest brother shoots this round for his coues deer and from what I know, he loves the gun. Superb accuracy and high velocities. I do not reload and with a baby coming and a full teaching schedule ahead of me, I cannot and would not be able to find the time to get into it. So, those 40 dollar boxes of ammo would add up quickly with that .257 weatherby. It does sound like a great round however. It will be about a month before I make the purchase so I still have a little bit of time to ponder.

If anyone still has any more opinions, knowledge or advice, please keep it comin'.

like i have said, i shoot my 270wsm and love it.

If i was going to get a rifle built just for coues/antelope.... it would be a 257 wby.

I bought the 25 wssm two years ago and love it. my son made a perfect shot on a whitetail down south last year at 498 yards, not much hold over on this caliber. I think this is a perfect gun for whitetail. Hardly any kick. The awsome thing about super short mags. is how fast and uniform the powder burns inside the cartridge. this makes for great accuracy. I shoot win. ballistic silvertip bullets. you can use the lower grain for varmits and higher grain for deer. Look at a ballistic table, you will be amazed. Best price on bullets I found was at the sportsmans warehouse. I have shot the 25-06 also, I feel the 25 wssm out performed it. Great long distance caliber. didn't mean to ramble on, I hope this helps.

I know I would not regret getting a 270 Short Mag. I have heard a lot of great things about the round and how much people seem to love that gun. This purchase will also be for my wife. She will be shooting this gun in the future as well. This is why I am opting to go with the smaller caliber, rather than the 270 Short. She is small and dainty and can't handle the recoil real well. I need a gun with that in mind. Some day, I will get a 270 Short. Not with this purchase though. Again thanks for the input.