Sign in to follow this  
SirRoyal

Ok, Enough is Enough!!!! Unit 9

There is a tremendous amount of information that goes into the hunt numbers. There are many agencies that have input, such as Arizona State land, USFS and more.

There are numerous opportunities to be involved in the Hunt structure process. It does take time, but if you have specific concerns and can find biological/social findings to back it up you can make a difference. If it is the old "Who moved my cheese" personal-emotional change it probably won't make a difference.

#1: Unit 10 tags were lowered because the surveys came back and the bull/cow ratios are close to guidelines. Many of us were unhappy with the increase in tags the last couple of years and pushed hard to set them lower. There are many private land issues in Unit 10 that is a constant issue with the numbers of elk overall.

The Dept. is working very hard to better their surveys, things like forest canopy and the density of trees makes it harder every year to get good data. There are so many other factors it makes my head spin.

#2; As far as the Boquillas I feel that there will be some type of agreement made that will keep it open to hunting. A few things happened at the Commission meeting that lead me to believe it. I am always disheartened when select negotiations happen in the public eye and we don't get to see or know about all the cards that are on the table. Some of the things said at the commission meeting are hard to swallow. But, I think there will be an agreement.

#3; Unit 9 trophy quality - Unit 9 is being managed as an alternative elk unit. That being said the bull/cow ratios are higher and the percentage of 6 point bulls is higher than other units. THIS IS IN THE 2016-2018 GUIDELINES. It cannot be changed without changing guidelines and that will take years and tons of public input. There are many groups that watch these guidelines and you will know if there is a change.

#4; Unit 8 is not managed as a trophy - alternate unit.

Alternative Elk Hunt Objectives
Units 1, 9, 10, and 23 will be managed under Alternate Elk Hunt Objectives. Each unit will have an early archery
bull hunt, with an early general or early muzzleloader bull hunt which may be offered during alternate years.

Thanks for the detailed info. What was said in regards to the Bo at the meeting?

Thank you Steve for the information!

We need guys like you that act as watchdogs on issues of concern to us your fellow hunters!

I'm a in the field guy I don't just talk it I walk it. And at any given time I can ,I do and I will help someone that is struggling to fill their tag. Many times as simple as filling a cow tag!

It's all about the passion for the hunt. You are a spoke on the same wheel that I am and together we all turn the same direction!!

I do 12 to 15 hunts in the fall every year and very seldom do I have a tag and very seldom am I paid and if I'm paid it only covers my expenses because someone else becomes the recepient of my passion and any monetary gain. I have a job I don't need another.

I keep hearing about pay it forward hmm I was doing that when nobody knew what that was or meant.

No brag , just fact!!!