An interesting article chronicling the results of the Berger VLD on game in New Zealand appears in the August issue of Wolfe Handloader magazine.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl248partial.pdf

The delayed expansion after 2" and the test tube results caught my attention. UPS delivered a couple of boxes of 130 gr VLDs to the door today to try in the 6.5 WSM. Hopefully I have not PO'd G&F and I can draw a deer tag to try these on.

I figure that some of you handloaders may be interested and try em for coues.

Doug~RR

An interesting article chronicling the results of the Berger VLD on game in New Zealand appears in the August issue of Wolfe Handloader magazine.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl248partial.pdf

The delayed expansion after 2" and the test tube results caught my attention. UPS delivered a couple of boxes of 130 gr VLDs to the door today to try in the 6.5 WSM. Hopefully I have not PO'd G&F and I can draw a deer tag to try these on.

I figure that some of you handloaders may be interested and try em for coues.

Doug~RR

Doug,

I bought some 165 gr. to load up for my 300 Wby mag....... What do you think?? Good or bad idea???

bad! too fast! step it up to a heavy bullet and ud be good! they are light, if you hit nything close, under 200-300 yards they might blow up! thats why i stick with accubonds or TSX

bad! too fast! step it up to a heavy bullet and ud be good! they are light, if you hit nything close, under 200-300 yards they might blow up! thats why i stick with accubonds or TSX

I am gunna run some TSX 180 gr. test loads too. And 180 gr Spitzers... :blink:

id work up the 180 TSX, if those VLD's hit anywhere near a good velocity, they will explode! (well from what ive heard!)

id work up the 180 TSX, if those VLD's hit anywhere near a good velocity, they will explode! (well from what ive heard!)

I thought the VLD was suppose to be very stable.... and accurate???

From what i have read, it is a looooooong distance bullet with a very VERY high BC. the guys on best of the west use them. i believe they are frangiable at high veloctities and short distances. but, it is known to be a very accurate bullet, i think it is very very simliar to a Sierra Match King... and Sierra atamently states that the SMK's are NOT for hunting.

CnS, In the article, they used 168s from a 300 mag, and a 264 WM, in addition to smaller slower chamberings. Seems that regardless of velocity or distance or caliber, the results were similar. I like the high BC and hopefully the accuracy offered by the VLDs. I am hoping to get the accuracy that I have not yet gotten from the Accubond in my 6.5 WSM. The delayed expansion is unlike the results of a Ballistic Tip or SMK.

Doug~RR

CnS, In the article, they used 168s from a 300 mag, and a 264 WM, in addition to smaller slower chamberings. Seems that regardless of velocity or distance or caliber, the results were similar. I like the high BC and hopefully the accuracy offered by the VLDs. I am hoping to get the accuracy that I have not yet gotten from the Accubond in my 6.5 WSM. The delayed expansion is unlike the results of a Ballistic Tip or SMK.

Doug~RR

It is a slow dn load.....

So the delayed expansion is the same at long and short range???? :huh:

Impressive results in that article makes me want to get into reloading.

Delayed expansion for the first two inches, isn't that already half way through a coues deer :blink: