Sign in to follow this  
Wetfinn

30-06 Barnes Bullets Seating Depth

I have been playing around with my Tikka 30-06 and Barnes Bullets. Tried a few different powders (Varget, RL-15, 4064). Have tried seating them to max mag length and seating them so the COAL is short.

Anyone found a good starting point for seating depth to get consistent accuracy?

Thanks

Mika

Might try a different bullet weight. My 30-06 won't shoot 180s under about 1.5", 165s are inside a dime.

Just about the same for mine. It seems to like any bullet as long as it weighs 150g or less. I just picked up a box of 130g T-tsx's.

In my past experience, barnes bullets can be tough to load for in some guns, and others shoot them lights out. I tried to get the TTSx to shoot out of my 300 wsm, and could never get the accuracy I wanted. I tried seating depth changes, powder changes, and different primers. MY gun just hates them. Switched to Berger, and found great accuracy right away. some guns, just like different flavors imo.

• Like 1

I have not shot barnes but like mentioned. Try different powders and depths and if that doesn't work try a different weight. If it is still no good try a different bullet.

My rifle shot ok with nosler ballistic tips but I switched to berger bullets and it liked them much better. I then tried different powder and the gun loves Bergers and h1000 powder. It will shoot them under MOA and sometimes under .5 MOA. The best the nosler did was about between 1-1.5 MOA.

you just have to keep experimenting and don't be afraid to try different bullets. Reloading is science. Keep changing 1 variable at a time until you get the results you are after.

Harley

• Like 1

I have tried RL-15, 4064, and Varget. Can get the rifle to shoot dime sized groups with several other bullets. I took 3 deer with it in Arkansas this year using Nosler Ballistic Silver Tips CT and 4064. Did not get a single pass through. Only one ran, and he made it 30 yds before balling up. I really want to get these 150g TTSX flying right to use as my hunting load. At the end of the day, I may just use another bullet though.

Thanks for the input.

Mika

Try something slower like rl-19 or 22.

That might do the trick. I am loading 165gr speer btsp in 3006 for my buddy over rl-22 with good success.

i use a 168 ballistic silver tip and either varget or I4064. .030 off the lands. i also use 167 scenar and 168 berger. not sure why you are changing bullets when the others were working.

I have tried RL-15, 4064, and Varget. Can get the rifle to shoot dime sized groups with several other bullets. I took 3 deer with it in Arkansas this year using Nosler Ballistic Silver Tips CT and 4064. Did not get a single pass through. Only one ran, and he made it 30 yds before balling up. I really want to get these 150g TTSX flying right to use as my hunting load. At the end of the day, I may just use another bullet though.

Thanks for the input.

Mika

Those powder you listed are all fast. Try something slower.

Thanks for the advice. I will try a slower powder. I am changing bullets because the Nosler BST just exploded in the deer. Left small pieces of lead in the meat. I don't need myself or my kids to start licking windows because of lead poisonining. :)

Mika

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I will try a slower powder. I am changing bullets because the Nosler BST just exploded in the deer. Left small pieces of lead in the meat. I don't need myself or my kids to start licking windows because of lead poisonining. :)

Mika

They are a good target load. I saw a buddy have the same problem with 150's in a 300 Weatherby in the early 90's on a Coues at 400 yards. They just are too explosive.

I had the 150gr bst fail on an antelopes shoulder. It was several years ago in Montana. Temps were right about zero or slightly below. The antelope was about 70 yards and I was shooting them out of my 22" barrel 30-06 with about 2900fps mv. I thought I somehow missed and was mad at myself, but when I was butchering the antelope I found the bullet in the shoulder, The bullet just pancaked against the thin shoulder blade.