Sign in to follow this  
Analogkid1014

Early bull before archery in 27

What do you guys think about the Early rifle bull hunt before the archery bull in 27. I do not hunt 27, not an area I know. Part of me wouldn't mind but I am also not sure how the elk would react after being shot at...might make the archery hunt a little tougher. Guess the flip side is the elk should be bugling like crazy be the time archery comes around

Or how about the overlapping archery / rifle tags in 9. Looks like they want to move archery back to being before rifle (used to be muzzy) but the rifle tag starts in the middle of archery hunt. I'm thinking they're going to move those dates around for the final draft.

I think it stinks to high heaven regardless of the unit! But I am an archery hunter and I am openly biased.

• Like 2

Archers have lobbied for a later start for the early archery hunt. G&F appears to be testing the waters. If archers are less successful due to early rifle/muzzy taking place prior to early archery bull, it would allow G&F to increase early archery permits hunts in the future. G&F is all about squeezing as much revenue out of the resource as possible. Personally, I don't think it will have much effect on archers overall success but no doubt some of the larger bulls won't be there. Could be the early rifle/muzzy success would go down (doubt it). Should hunt success drop for both weapon types G&F could increase permits for both. Looks like we'll get our chance to see this play out.

He'll ya, later in the rut, couple gun shots wont hurt anything,, +1 here

• Like 2

Well looks like they decided to go ahead with the trial this year in Unit #27. Will be interesting to see what impact the change will have on both archery and early rifle opportunities

Why not ask the unit 9 guys from last year if it hurt or helped this is the second year for this. This will be rotated between the regions every year according to Erin at the Kingman office.

• Like 1

Good suggestion. I was trying to remember what unit (9) the trial began in last year. Will have to find the topic with the follow up discussions. Thanks.

I am not too worried with only 40 rifle tags and a huge unit. I would love to try out the experiment, sign me up!

Jeff

• Like 1

I'll take either tag and let you know how it goes...I hunted 27 the year of the Wallow fire. Early rifle can't affect the elk as much as that did...I'm sure anyone who hunted 9 (I think it was 9...rotates every year it seems) last year could comment on whether they thought it was affected by the rifle hunt....

Last year was the first year ever that the rifle hunt had been scheduled prior to the archery hunt (unit 9). I've heard conflicting stories on this. Some say hunt was great and some say that a bunch of the larger Bulls sought refuge in the GC and didn't come back until after the archery hunt.

• Like 1

I'll let you guys know in October Because it looks like I'm going to 27! I don't know anything about 27 but My theory/dream is that later week is going to be a blast of a rut fest.

There's going to be a few less studs from the rifle hunters of course but I'm not looking for a 400" bull and I wouldn't think 40 tags is going to put that much pressure on the elk.